So Long Old Friend...

Jeff Bower

When my wife and I moved into our house almost 6 years ago, the frig in the kitchen stuck out like a sore thumb. It was almond, we wanted white. The inside had wire shelves and some of them were rusty. When the compressor turned on, it made a terrible noise. The day after we moved in we had a new shiny white frig delivered and put the old one in the garage that would become my shop. The frig has housed many things, water, veggies, fruit, meat, etc. but its primary purpose was to keep beer cold. If we needed to use it for overflow from the kitchen fridge, we would take it to the "beer fridge".

I decorated it with my magnet collection, stickers, and a poster or two. I stacked an old 20" TV on it when I ran cable to the garage. The TV hasn't worked in over a year, but the beer fridge didn't mind. It has a layer of dust on it that would choke most shop vacs, but it didn't mind. I put a few dents in it when projectiles from the lathe hit it, but it didn't mind. Because of the freezing temps and snow this winter, I hadn't been out to the shop much since Thanksgiving. I hadn't opened the fridge in over two months. I thought the beer fridge wouldn't mind, but...

This past week, the beer fridge cooled its last beer. The light inside still worked, but nothing else...

Beer Fridge, you had a good run and you will be missed...:(

Attachments

• p_00229.jpg
    p_00229.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 35
  • p_00230.jpg
    p_00230.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 37
  • p_00231.jpg
    p_00231.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 31
When my wife and I moved into our house almost 6 years ago, the frig in the kitchen stuck out like a sore thumb. It was almond, we wanted white. The inside had wire shelves and some of them were rusty. When the compressor turned on, it made a terrible noise. The day after we moved in we had a new shiny white frig delivered and put the old one in the garage that would become my shop. The frig has housed many things, water, veggies, fruit, meat, etc. but its primary purpose was to keep beer cold. If we needed to use it for overflow from the kitchen fridge, we would take it to the "beer fridge".

I decorated it with my magnet collection, stickers, and a poster or two. I stacked an old 20" TV on it when I ran cable to the garage. The TV hasn't worked in over a year, but the beer fridge didn't mind. It has a layer of dust on it that would choke most shop vacs, but it didn't mind. I put a few dents in it when projectiles from the lathe hit it, but it didn't mind. Because of the freezing temps and snow this winter, I hadn't been out to the shop much since Thanksgiving. I hadn't opened the fridge in over two months. I thought the beer fridge wouldn't mind, but...

This past week, the beer fridge cooled its last beer. The light inside still worked, but nothing else...

Beer Fridge, you had a good run and you will be missed...:(

That's a great thing...'cuz now you have a fridge to make a kiln.. :thumb:
I was just looking at the Winter 2010 Issue #24 of the Woodturning Design magazine and there's an article about making a making a Green Bowl Drying Kiln from an old freezer or 'fridge by Ted Rudie... see pages 13-15... just was wishing I had an old freezer or fridge to make one myself. :type:

We'll need photos of the finished kiln.. :rofl:

Oh BTW, I was going to mention that I had one of those myself... my first wife and I bought a new house in Foster City, CA and when we moved into it, all the appliances there were dark brown... our fridge was white, so the MIL paid to have it painted as a house warming gift... years later after we divorced, I still had that fridge... the fan in the freezer box would squeal in the middle of the night... make your hair curly or stand on end.... got into the habit of opening the freezer, rapping the back side of the wall with my fist and the fan would stop squealing... it was still working when we moved to Tucson in '94, but we left it behind.

Last edited:
Don, I don't need a fridge out there now...the beer stays cold on its own!

Chuck, I thought about a kiln, but the space I gain by taking it to the dump won out...more on that soon! (yes, more shop reorganization!)

Such a sad story, Brought a tear to my eye....

But rest assured somewhere there is a field full of old beer fridges, cooling down their owners favorite beverages just across the amber bridge...

Someday perhaps the two of you will be reunited, and able to share a frosty cold one once again...

Or, just check Craigs list and get a new one. People are getting rid of fridges all the time... :rofl:

A moment of silence for Beer Fridge.
meditate.gif

I hate to tell you this, but the temps might have been cold enough it caused it to think it was cool on the inside. Some of the newer (20 year old fridges) don't work like the old ones and cool the contents regardless the outside temp. You may have contributed the the early demise of your old friend!! :rofl::rofl:

I know this because the fridge I bought at a yardsale this summer for the garage is doing the same thing and the guy I called explained the above information at a more detailed manner, but the gist is the same!

I hate to tell you this, but the temps might have been cold enough it caused it to think it was cool on the inside. Some of the newer (20 year old fridges) don't work like the old ones and cool the contents regardless the outside temp. You may have contributed the the early demise of your old friend!! :rofl::rofl:

I know this because the fridge I bought at a yardsale this summer for the garage is doing the same thing and the guy I called explained the above information at a more detailed manner, but the gist is the same!

Say it isn't so! Oh the humanity! :D:rofl::D

To quote the bard:

"Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio; a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy; he hath borne me on his back a thousand times; and now, how abhorred in my imagination it is! My gorge rises at it. Here hung those lips that I have kissed I know not how oft. Where be your gibes now?" (Hamlet, V.i)