Shielded Hollowing Tool.

Chas Jones

______
________Todays little project...________Wood is Hard dried Beech________Click on images for larger view.
________

________Not exactly as elegant as a Munro but it looks as though it will serve the same purpose. Still got a Handle to make.
________

That's very impressive "hand milling" work, Chas. :clap: The pics sure show it works...how does it feel using it? Easy to control?

The pics sure show it works...how does it feel using it? Easy to control?
Yes Vaughn, perhaps not as slick as the Munro due to added bulk limiting how small a diameter it can tackle 'side on' but it meets my objective of not catching (the reason for the shield) How it handles at depth and rest overhang will have to wait until I have a decent handle made.
I was holding the 5/8" shaft one handed when taking the pictures.

It's OK Jonathan, virtually no risk, that's the function of the shield, any attempt to catch and the shield comes into firmer contact and relieves the cut so the cutter can't dig in.

Using a shielded cutter does mean that there is only a shallow presentation angle range when it will actually cut but this is a distinct advantage when reaching deeper.

Not intending to do any elaborate hollow forms, just wanted something more forgiving when I make Vases.

It's OK Jonathan, virtually no risk, that's the function of the shield, any attempt to catch and the shield comes into firmer contact and relieves the cut so the cutter can't dig in.

Using a shielded cutter does mean that there is only a shallow presentation angle range when it will actually cut but this is a distinct advantage when reaching deeper.

Not intending to do any elaborate hollow forms, just wanted something more forgiving when I make Vases.

Sounds like something I need for my students (and me!:rofl:). I will have to do some reading on them. Thanks for the information.