After Market Miter Gauge?

...Many of you have recommended the Incra. I looked at one at the woodworking store and was a bit (notice I say "a bit") concerned about the possible fragile nature of all that 'stuff' hanging off the back of the gauge. Your comments on that?

I've had no issues with anything on the Incra bending or otherwise getting messed up. I don't think I've dropped mine, but unless it was thrown, I suspect it'd be just fine.

I notice there isn't any material on the bar to keep the material from moving as you make the cut. How do you handle that?

I have a piece of plywood attached to the fence (they even include the screws and oval nuts with the miter gauge). It works as a zero-clearance backing for cleanse cuts. It would be easy enough to put some self-adhesive sandpaper or some other grip tape on it, but it hasn't been an issue for me. Keep in mind that 99% of my cuts are simple 90º crosscuts.

I assume that if you use the stops that eliminates creep, but is that all there is?

I've also used a clamp when the piece is longer than the fence. Again, with the straight 90º crosscuts I typically do, it hasn't really been an issue.

How do you handle moving the tape when you reposition the bar?

The "tape" is semi-rigid mylar, and it slides in a channel. I don't use the tape a whole lot, but for the times I do, it's easy to reposition, and it stays in place fine for me.

Lastly, any of you ever whack this beauty with your saw blade?

A carbide toothed blade cuts through the aluminum fence like butter. Or at least that's what Rennie told me.
whistling.gif
:rofl:

The only issue I had with the Incra package is the hex screwdriver that came with it. The blade starting spinning in the handle after about a month. Not a big deal to me though.

Another vote for the Incra. I have the 1000HD and until I started using it I didn't realize how accurate you can perform a cross cut. I like the positive lock for each degree, but to me the way it shines is the shopstop to set the length of the cut, I have started thinking in 1/32's because of the guage. I have since got the fence for the router table and several rules and a square. The rules have holes or slots for each 1/32" to mark the layout. Guess I sound like I work for Incra, nope but I belive they have brought a level of accuracy to woodworking that can only help turn out better work. :eek:

Lastly, any of you ever whack this beauty with your saw blade?

Warren,

I myself am a complete doofus, and couldn't make a square cut. I kept getting mitre gauge after mitre gauge, and getting closer and closer... ;)

Finally, I just threw in the towel on the upgrade path, and went for the incra 5000. It's da bomb. No more trouble with picture frames, no more troubles at all. Even gave up my miter trimmer, since it was just sitting on the shelf. Even made a circular frame with 18 segments... that's 36 angles, if you're counting. The last one slipped right in. Perfect! :thumb:

Have I trimmed the edge of the fence, after changing the angles and forgetting to reset? Who, me? Don't forget, I'm a complete doofus. But no harm, no foul, as they say, life is still good, and my woodworker II didn't even nag at me.

The sled itself only loses half an inch of blade height. And really, when was the last time you cut a four by four on the table saw? The height has never been an issue.

I'm also convinced that using it adds a level of safety.

Anyway, that's just my experience. Your mileage may vary... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited:
I haven’t wacked it with a blade, but I knocked my Incra 5000 off the table saw. It fell on the extension arm and a corner of the sled. Buggered up the corner of the sled but everything else was still right on.

I've got the Incra 1000. It's quite nice, but the cast iron stock gage and a simple cross cut sled handle most all cuts quite nicely. I purchased it with a gift card, and am glad to have it, but i really don't "need" it.
paulh