first project for 2010 - closing in on finish

Dan Noren

Staff member
well, the day finally came!:eek: the brazilian cherry i ordered for the friend of mine's small table arrived.:D i can tell you this much, that stuff is heavy!:eek: trust me, waltzing around an 8 ft 1x10 of this stuff was a chore. the good stuff kept stacking up. the boss of the shop himself took care of me, let me select the ones i wanted (i was awfully temped to get the 16" wide one:rofl:). he then, at no charge, planed both sides down to 7/8", and jointed one side straight on all four boards. then throw in my woodworker's guild discount (10%), and my profit margin went up a bit... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Attachments

• brazilian cherry.JPG
    brazilian cherry.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 117
  • brazilian cherry detail.JPG
    brazilian cherry detail.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
new switch is in! the dust collector is working again!:thumb: now i just want to replace the plug, since my dad only had one that was half junk. now once the weather starts to cooperate again, i'll be happy.:D

well, the weather has finally decided to cooperate, and my brother has his friend's 57 out of the garage so i can get things moving. i started getting things set up around 11 this morning, and finished around 6 tonight. once again i was reminded as to how heavy that brazillian cherry is. lots of fun waltzing those heavy boards around. i managed to get all the parts rough cut, and still need to run them through the planer to final thickness. then the real adventure begins, cutting the boards for the side and back panels to close to thickness on the bandsaw. i'm going to take that real slow and easy.

Attachments

• all parts cut.JPG
    all parts cut.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 88
  • faithful ol sleds helper.JPG
    faithful ol sleds helper.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 79
  • faithful ol sled.JPG
    faithful ol sled.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 85
  • boards ready to be cut.JPG
    boards ready to be cut.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 81
  • ready for the cutting.JPG
    ready for the cutting.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 86
got everything planed down to thickness needed. that took all of about 3 hours. then i set up the bandsaw with the resaw blade (that was fun:rolleyes:), and cut the panels for the sides and back, then ran them through the planer to 1/4" thick. i knew that this stuff was heavy, but just the legs, top, bottom, and panels weigh in at 48 lbs (that's 21.77 kilos for you rob:rofl:). i can't wait to see what the final weight of this table is going to be.

That is some great work there Dan. Don't you just love a sled? Cool idea on material support and chalk marking is a great way to keep things straight as you move along. Looking forward to tagging along.

today was a fairish busy day. had to work with the big door open, as it smelt of propane in the garage.:eek: aired it out a good one before i started. i talked to my brother, and he thinks it could be that i have a leaky tank. :dunno: well, once everything was aired out, i cut all the rabbets for the side and back panels, along with the tenons for areas that needed them. after weighing the last of the parts, it comes in at roughly 72 lbs., not bad for a table that's not quite 21" tall and 2 ft square...:thumb: finally, i managed to glue up the bottom, and the legs. i need to bring the longer pipes over to glue up the top tomorrow.:D

Attachments

• legs and bottom glue up.JPG
    legs and bottom glue up.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 47
  • parts close up c.JPG
    parts close up c.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 44
  • parts close up b.JPG
    parts close up b.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 47
  • parts close up a.JPG
    parts close up a.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 47
  • all parts ready.JPG
    all parts ready.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 43
  • resawn side and back panels.JPG
    resawn side and back panels.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 45
kept at it again today. took the legs and bottom out of the clamps, changed the ends to some 4 foot pipes, and glued up the boards for the top. during the test fitting, i found that the smaller side panels were just a touch wide. so when i took the legs out to plane the off sides, i trimmed the panels to the proper size. then i nipped the ends of the legs flush and trimmed them to length, and chamfered (that's putting an angle on them larry:D) the bottoms of the legs. then i laid out the locations of the mortises, and then back out to cut those. after they were cut, i swept up, and rolled everything back to their spots, and it is once again a garage.:thumb: tomorrow will be spent fine tuning everything for an all up test fit.

Attachments

• laying out mortises.JPG
    laying out mortises.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 44
  • top glued up.JPG
    top glued up.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 43
  • all mortising done.JPG
    all mortising done.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 47
  • shop ready for another day.JPG
    shop ready for another day.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 47
hey dano, normally they make the mortise's first and then fit the tenons to them.. according to CNN but hey if it works for you that way go for it.. but glad you told me about the chaper edges.. i never knew that..looks like you gaining bud:thumb::thumb:

the reason i chamfer the edges, is that on a bare wood floor, it won't scratch (especially if they have those fiber pads) the floor, and they won't do damage to carpets as well. also avoids the highly embarrassing event of having the corners of the legs splintering off.:D:thumb: as far as mortises and tenons go, i usually make my tenons a split cat hair (technical measurement, you can use it larry) beefier than the mortise, then finesse to a good snug fit. with all my furniture being held together with mortise and tenon joinery, i've almost got it down to a science.

Last edited:
well, after taking a needed day off from everything, i was back at it again. i fitted out all the mortises and tenons except for the ones for the legs. i glued up the back panel parts, and then the frames and panels for the four sides. i'm going to fit out the mortises and tenons for the legs and panels tomorrow.

Attachments

• back panel frame.JPG
    back panel frame.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 31
  • front frame glued up.JPG
    front frame glued up.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 31
  • back panel glued up.JPG
    back panel glued up.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 30
  • side frames glued up.JPG
    side frames glued up.JPG