Block Plane

I have the Lee Valley, with the A2 blade. I like it a lot. I got one of the first ones they made, maybe ten years ago.

A smaller, and cheaper, alternative is the LV 'apron plane.' Also a low angle block plane, just a bit shorter and narrower. I also have that one, and use it a lot, too.

My overall favorite, though, is a 1930s vintage Stanley 65, with the knuckle joint lever cap, and a Hock blade.

Will you be grinding that plane iron on a high-speed grinder, with a heavy hand? If so, go with the A2. If you'll be kinder to your iron than that, the O1 is plenty sufficient. W1 would be harder & take a keener edge, but may distort slightly during heat treatment. You 'bout can't knock the hardness out of A2 in the home shop. Not even in most commercial shops - just can't get it hot enough to anneal... so whatever hardness it is when it arrives... that's the hardness it'll be for the rest of your life, no matter what you do.

If you never let your plane irons get above about 600F, then you won't be able to hurt the hardness of the O1, either.

This just gets worse. Guess I need to pick up a copy of the Handplane Book, by Garret Hack. Maybe I can keep up with the conversation better. I never knew there was this much too know. :huh:

I have the LV DX-60, which I like very much, but I've also had my grimy mitts on the LN bronze plane you show. Garrett brought one along to give as a gift to the wooden plane dia maker we met. Garrett calls this little plane "Powerful" in that is is small enough to have on hand all the time, yet it is such well made tool, that you can use it to do a LOT of stuff.

If that is what you want, a small powerful low angle plane, I don't think you would go wrong with either, but, if it were my money, I'd be buying the Lie-Nielsen one. :thumb:

Oh yeah, I'd stick with A2, I don't find it any hard to sharpen, and it does stay really sharp longer, I use water stones.

Cheers!

I have a comparison on my website:

VeritasPremiumBlockPlane_html_67db55fa.jpg

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/VeritasPremiumBlockPlane.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Steve I am an amateur in this league but for what its worth i have the Lee Valley one and love it.

The great thing i like is this. (by the way i am refering to this version http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=32685&cat=1,41182

1) I can adjust the throat
2) I can adjust the screws that prevent the blade slipping side to side in the casting
3) I love the adjuster for blade depth and skew.
4) I bought the accessories for it to make it a small hand plane. http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=41715&cat=1,41182,48942

So i add the nob and tote and its a real great tool. I cannot even remember which blade i have in mine but i love this tool of all my tools the most.

Recently i wanted to post on Arts post about how you deal with a cut off dowel plug. Well i use my little old block plan to level it to the wood surface and it works like a charm cutting across grain with ease.

Of course the secret to me that i discovered is keeping a plane blade really sharp. I think just about any plane will work if you do that.:doh::eek:

Best of luck this is another woodworking vortex as i have found out but really enjoy. ;):D:thumb:

The vortex is strong, that's for sure. Spent most of the morning, on eBay. Found a Stanley 60 1/2. Will work for now. Thanks for all the opinions. Will move into the vortex proper here soon. Marc Adams is having a plane class. Thinking about attending.

Last edited by a moderator:
The vortex is strong, that's for sure. Spent most of the morning, on eBay. Found a Stanley 60 1/2. Will work for now. Thanks for all the opinions. Will move into the vortex proper here soon. Marc Adams is having a plane class. Thinking about attending.

my choice too........i don`t own any post 1970 planes and very few post ww1

This just gets worse. Guess I need to pick up a copy of the Handplane Book, by Garret Hack. Maybe I can keep up with the conversation better. I never knew there was this much too know. :huh:

Planes are definitely an area where simple things can get complex. Its fun. I have the LV low angle, A2 and an additional 38 degree A2 iron. I have small hands so I also got the front knob and tote to make the little guy more versatile. In practice, I use both irons and the front knob, the tote is used very seldom.

not sure what was on his mind but i am assuminig he meant something from Hock mfg. the blade that he makes are thicker than the factory blades and they tend to chatter less therefore making your cut smoother.
Larry's exactly right. Also, the steel in the modern blades may hold up better.

There's a bunch of people who offer good replacement blades. Check out LV, LN, Woodcraft I think offers Pinnacle brand block plane blades, and of course Hock, as Larry mentioned.

But before you get a new blade try the one you have in the plane. If you're satisfied with it, stay with it.

Mike