WIP - Hall bench (Nantucket Settle)

Bryan Cowing

Swmbo has me working on a NYW plan for a hall bench to replace a little maple one we have. Almost have the wood parts done. Today I should have the seat parts done. Seats parts tricky with beads, miters, rabbets:doh:
IMG_1857.JPG

IMG_1858.JPG

IMG_1859.JPG

Real shame you have to use that ugly ol' walnut for such a nice bench. :p

That should finish out beautifully. Looking great so far. :thumb:

Oh boy thats nice Bryan. Just what my SWIBO would want if she saw your post so this aint gonna rear its head while shes around.:rofl::rofl: Bad enough i mentioned the one Chuck built, that caused enough "when you gonna get started on it talk in our house":rofl:

Will be following along keenly. Thanks for posting it.:thumb:

I was just wondering how much the wood set you back? The one I did out of pine the wood alone was just under 400 bucks.

I was just wondering how much the wood set you back? The one I did out of pine the wood alone was just under 400 bucks.
No idea. I bought a stash of 3/4" to 1" air dried walnut at $2 bd ft. last May that I am using on the settle. The panels , I re-sawed 1"x10"W stock in half so not much wood was used there. I laminated up to 3 pcs for the legs, 2 for the arm rests. Checking the plan, seems 60-70 bd ft would build it using 1" stock. <$20 for a 2x4 sheet of 1/2" GIS fir ply for the bottom. Project cost finished should not be more than $200.
I'm almost ready to apply the finish.
IMG_1902.JPG

Last edited:
very nice bryon, and the bead mitre is very well done.. could use some more tips on how you done that one!!!
follow the plan, cutting the rabbets. On one side you have to stop short and use a chisel.The center seat section, miter is cut with SCMS. A few pics. Seems my instant email notification is hit and miss, so I have missed some of the questions. Or I haven't read through all the posts, sorry!
IMG_1872.JPG

IMG_1874.JPG

IMG_1878.JPG

Last edited:
follow the plan, cutting the rabbets. On one side you have to stop short and use a chisel.The center seat section, miter is cut with SCMS. A few pics. Seems my instant email notification is hit and miss, so I have missed some of the questions. Or I haven't read through all the posts, sorry!
View attachment 41886

View attachment 41887

View attachment 41888

thanks bryan,, that sure shows the differnce between air dried and kiln dried in those close ups:thumb::thumb: