• Nope, just wear my street cloths

Votes: 27 39.1%
  • I work anaturel

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Don Baer

Staff member
I have a shop apron that hangs on the door to the entrance to my shop, the problem is I often walk right by it and forget to put it on. Whenb I do wear it I find it quite handy for keeping my pencils at hand as well as a place to put my tape measue, a small square etc in the pockets. This got me to thinking just how many folks out there actualy use a shop apron. So how many out there use a shop apron.

I voted all the time, but really "Usually" is the correct answer.

I picked one up at a wood show 2 years ago (I helped out in a booth and it was a freebie) and became an instant convert. Like Don said, the pencil is always there, and the tape measure is always there. But also it helps keep my clothes a bit cleaner, which is nice for when I leave the shop.

I don't like aprons. They seem to catch a lot of sawdust. I usually use, when I remember, is an old heavy Carhardt shirt that I cut the sleeves off of. If I keep it buttoned up it keeps most of the sawdust from following me upstairs and seeing my wife shake her fist at me after she just vacuumed.:rofl:
Now if I could keep my shoes from tracking up sawdust :dunno:

daughter made me a couple and the fact of having what i need there handy is very nice and the pant legs dont get all the glue now.. also gives me aplace to shove the glasses when i am talking to someone, just havnt graduated to having string on them to dangle down on my neck. the more you use one the more you wil appreciate them.

I have one that was handed down and always forget to put it on. I also have a really well made safety coverall dayglo orange one that i was given brand new by a friend and forget to put it on.

Loml would love me to use them to save my clothes. She now forbids me to go to the shop with anything but very old clothes. :rofl::rofl:

I've got this one and it works really well. Stays off the back of your neck, doesn't make you look like you are wearing a skirt when use it with shorts in the summer :D

Duluth Trading Shop Apron

If I'm out there for a 'serious' project, I'll put it on. It keeps everything right close and handy.

If I'm just out puttering around, It stays on the hook...

Some people scorn this practice, but I usually wear my carpenter's apron, Norm style. A lot of my shop jobs were, and still are, building restoration and carpentry-related, so I guess that's how the habit started. I actually can't seem to work without it, due to needing to be able to put my hands right on pencil, tape, 6" ruler, combination square etc. without searching.
Peter

I actually wear a blue denim one I made for myself in Home Ec in HS (hey, that was where the girls were!!) only then it covered more of me than it does now!:eek::eek::rofl::rofl: It has no pockets, that is okay, only would fill up with shavings from the lathe. At school I wear a turners jacket.

I wear a blue denim apron that I got a long long time ago. I slightly modified how I wear it now.

The neck strap adds to the arthritis pain in my neck so instead of tying the two belts together in back of my waist, I tie each one to the top neck loop separately and then shove my arm into the loop made on each side and then the neck loop sits well down and off my neck. It stays tight to my body and doesn't have to be undone to take it off. Just take it off in reverse of putting it on, like a jacket once you get the neck strap on.

any type of apron doesnt fit right on my fat body.
Id probably save a fortune on all the clothes I drip stain or poly on, but I need to feel comfortable, and shop aprons dont cut it for me.

Id work without clothes, but Im a bit afraid of the dust collector lines I have hanging freely

almost sure my nosy neighbor would never try to sneak a peek again after one view of me jointing in the buff.

Last edited:
Got one. I've tried several and I truly wish they would work for me. They look so practical and useful in the pictures. I've had extra pockets sewn on, fishing weight-loop belt keepers and all that but I just can't move around in one without it tugging or getting caught on something. I finally think I have what I am after. I put a swiveling cell phone clip on a leather razor knife holster and keep a 6" hook rule and a large and small pencil in there clipped to my pocket. So far; better than any apron I've tried.

Id work without clothes, but Im a bit afraid of the dust collector lines I have hanging freely

almost sure my nosy neighbor would never try to sneak a peek again after one view of me jointing in the buff.

Hey, HEy, HEY ROB!!!!!!!!!!! Here is your answer!!!!! Start walking from the house to the shop in the NUDE!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek: At least give him something different to complain about!!!!!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I have a tool pouch that has a slider that fits in my back pocket allowing the pouch to hang as an extra back pocket. Handiest thing I have purchased in a long time. Have three of them with different length screws in them for the shop build. My apron has no pockets, if it did I would put one on each side on the inside so they didn't fill full of shavings or catch on things.