Best 5 to have? PLANES-cordless

larry merlau

seeing as how derek, has dropped in and gave some great info lately, i have a question for him and others on there opinion of what are the main 5 planes to have for users... not collecting thats a whole nuther story:) also if any one has a good spare side plate for a old stanley 140 i need one have the screws no plate. dont want remake..

we got a new guy testing the field so lets give him some ideas,,, here yu go Steve Southwood:D:D:thumb:

Last edited:
Lets see a Dewalt 735 is a nice place to start. Than maybe a Griz 20" could be added to the mix. And I wouldn't mind having a PM 54HH 6":thumb:

Last edited:
Lets see a Dewalt 744 is a nice place to start. Than maybe a Griz 20" could be added to the mix. And I wouldn't mind having a PM 54HH 6":thumb:

That didn't take long...;):D:rofl:

To Larry's question, I'm waiting too. I have a good start on a collection thanks to my grandpa, but know I might need a few others...

It's a very personal choice Larry...no right or wrong really. My skills and knowledge are still pretty sparse, but I tend to use a block plane the most. From there I grab my 4-1/2, 5-1/2, & 7 pretty regularly depending on what I'm doing. I also use a 3, 4 & 6 occasionally....prolly just to justify having them! :rolleyes: If I had to lose one, I'd put up less stink about the 6 and the 4 than the others because the 5-1/2 or 7 can do most of what the 6 does, and the 3 can do most of what the 4 does.

Only FIVE?!?!? You've seen mine, and I use them all - some a lot more frequently than others...:D

If I could only have five, though, they'd be:

1. a low angle block plane
2. a 4 or 4½ smoother
3. a 7 or 8 jointer
4. a tenon plane like the LV medium one
5. a low angle smoother - like the LV, or the LN 62.

Of course, there are a lot more - like the Stanley 98/99 pair, a 95, a 79, a 71 and a 271, perhaps a 10¼ and a 140, and don't forget the scrapers like the 80, 81, 85, 112, and 212.

YMMV...

Thanks Jim and Bill. So i only have two to go by these standards. Not bad. I presume Jim the tennon plane you refer to is the medium lee valley shoulder plane seen here or do i have the bull by the udders.:D

Oh you mean those planes:thumb:
block plane
and #5 are my go to planes. And the only reason for the 5 for me is because of what I did to the iron.
The rest are just paper weights.:thumb::rofl:

Thanks Jim and Bill. So i only have two to go by these standards. Not bad. I presume Jim the tennon plane you refer to is the medium lee valley shoulder plane seen here or do i have the bull by the udders.:D

Yup! That's the one. It's a nice size, and comfortable to hold and use.

I also have the bigger LN tenon(shoulder) plane, and while it has a nice heft, the size is a bit big and awkward for me to hold well. That aside, I still do use it a lot...

Yup! That's the one. It's a nice size, and comfortable to hold and use.

I also have the bigger LN tenon(shoulder) plane, and while it has a nice heft, the size is a bit big and awkward for me to hold well. That aside, I still do use it a lot...

I bought that plane this weekend at the show. I should be getting it by thursday.(the 3/4 inch)

lee valley sets up a smart booth at a show.
They have all the products handsomely displayed in open display. Each item can be examined close up, and they have a work bench set up with wood so you can try out a plane.
I believe alot of woodworkers unfamiliar with hand planes and their different uses shy away from approaching the sales reps only because noone wants to show how ignorant or unexperienced they might be, and well, woodworkers are for sure in a class all by themselves.
OFcourse, Ive overcome my shyness and Im not concerned anymore with what a pro woodworker thinks of my skills. Im fighting time now, and when I need something, I need to go and ask questions.
I noticed the Lee Valley guys and gals sorta laid back and watched as Ken went over each detail, and I mean every single little detail of this plane, explained things to me, uh, maybe like 5 times(Im dense on hand tools), and set me straight. He didnt notice, there was a group of people watching him give me a lesson on shoulder plane use and router plane use.
Woodworkers unfamiliar with hand planes, need people like Ken to patiently show and teach, as I believe many more would approach hand tools instead of forgetting about them.
Being with Ken in a Lee Valley booth, well, the boy is at home, surrounded by all his little friends. He knows his stuff, all his stuff.
Got a scraper also.

(only 124 more to go and Ill catch up to Jim)

Attachments

• bed 100 (Medium).jpg
    bed 100 (Medium).jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 16