16" Walker Turner Bandsaw in NJ

Jim Mattheiss

Hey:

A guy has listed a 16" Walker Turner Band Saw in Paterson NJ.

It's a 3 phase model and he's looking for $450.

I'm passing since I'm not prepared for 3 phase and I'd need to add a motor to the saw.

I left him a low ball offer if no one makes a decent offer.

Cheers

Jim

Don:

For future reference - what do you consider fairly cheap?

I offered them a $250 "if nothing else works out for you" offer for the saw but he's got and offer for $300. While I'd be getting an awesome band saw, it would need the converter to get it running and an unknown amount of TLC. I don't have time for much woodworking, I'd have less time to rebuild a band saw right now.

There is a decent amount of industrial equipment trickling onto CL over time. I'll have to research phase converters. I'm assuming you can hook up multiple machines to a single converter, as long as you don't exceed it's capacity at any one time.

Cheers

Jim

Don:

For future reference - what do you consider fairly cheap?
There is a decent amount of industrial equipment trickling onto CL over time. I'll have to research phase converters. I'm assuming you can hook up multiple machines to a single converter, as long as you don't exceed it's capacity at any one time.

Cheers

Jim
Jim,
you can get an inverter and use it as a phase converter but also get variable speed out of it if you want. 115V ones are less then $200. you can only run one machine at a time off of it. A 5 hp rotory inverter will run on 220V and cost about $325.00 and can run multiple machine at once. Hope this helps.
Don

You can also build a static phase converter for less than $75. That's what I did for my knee mill... only (because I used mostly surplus parts) mine only cost me about $30.

Chances are also excellent you could bolt a single-phase 1HP (or larger) motor onto that saw & it'd be happy all day long. Then you could sell off the 3-phase motor to recoup a little of the cost of the new single-phase one.