Huge wood haul today

allen levine

My wood guy is moving. Time has come, and he didnt have much left to offer me at this time.
He wasnt even there when I got there, I backed my truck in, he said start picking and choosing what I wanted.
Now, Im not a wimp,, but unfortunately Im still way under the weather, and my strength level is way down, but I climbed through his crap, exposed alot of good stuff, and went to work with one of his guys.
When all finished, the truck loaded pretty full the rear tires felt the load, my wood guy said, ok, you have around *** bf so give me *** dollars and you got a great deal.
I asked him if its usuable bf he counting, since I took alot of short stuff and some cracked stuff, he smiled and said, you always get a great deal, youll see.
So anyone want to guess? How many bf I got today?
Alot of 12 footers, 8 footers, 6 footers, all the 4 footers and less went inside the back seat area.
Ash, white oak, mahogany, maple,(6/4 up through 10/4 on the maple, great for legs and posts, alot of maple)a drop of poplar, spanish cedar, basswood perhaps, I declined on the pine, he had tons of that.
Shoot in a guess, we can see who wins when I measure it all up later, Ill have help at 3 to unload it, and Ill count it out and sort it all out. Hope my price paid was well worth it, this is some miserable day, Torrential rainfall with heavy heavy winds.

the bottom left of picture, with the blue end sealent is all ash, all 12 footers.
The top uncovered and wet is all the thick maple.The long piece on top with the red flag is something like a 2.5 x 3.5 piece of mahogany, 13 or so feet long, nice legs piece

Jim M-he didnt have any parts cabinets, although he had alot of parts to sell, I had little interest in his hardware.
He wanted me to take carved pieces for mantles and he had mucho carved table legs, pallets full of them, but I declined, even though He probably would have thrown them in for pennies. Not my style, and I dont have a fireplace.
Jim, joe, you guys gotta come take some of this stuff off my hands.

Attachments

• wood stuff 1616 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1616 (Medium).jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 129
  • wood stuff 1617 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1617 (Medium).jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 124
  • wood stuff 1620 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1620 (Medium).jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Allen, I heard that the sex addiction clinic that Tiger is going to also has a wood addiction wing. Careful, or you may find yourself sitting next to him during lunch. If you do ask him what I should do to keep my putts from missing right. Thanks.

the load uncovered, and the back seat load, all the short pieces.
I tallied most of it up, I decided all the 1.5 x3 and 1x2 pieces are freebies:D
I also wouldnt purchase alot of what he sold me, but he said the deal is right, to take it, and I believed him.
When I calculate, if the board is 1.5 thick, I dont count it as 6/4 or even 5/4, I figure I have to plane, its 1x, it has to be at least 1 and 3/4 for me to count it as 6/4, and 2 and a 1/4 to consider it 2 inch thickness.
If its 8 and 3/4 wide, I count it as 8. Im very in my favor when I estimate wood. So I know my count is way low from what I got, but my list is my base, and thats how I figure the price. 25 or 40 bf extra of odd sizes I dont even count.( I didnt realize how much 6/4 and 8/4 maple I bought)
look at that first picture, some nice 1.5 inch 20 inch boards of mahogany.wood stuff 1621 (Medium).jpg
and for those that think Im slacking off not working on anything, heres the smalls Im gluing up for the heartshape bowls,mahogany and ashwood stuff 1622 (Medium).jpg(the template is on the table, and I got the router bit and extender). The white oak vanity is near finish, and next to that is the parts cabinet Im sanding down to raw steel and spray painting, just not sure if I want it blue or black.wood stuff 1624 (Medium).jpg

Attachments

• wood stuff 1626 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1626 (Medium).jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 72
  • wood stuff 1627 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1627 (Medium).jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 69
  • wood stuff 1631 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1631 (Medium).jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 80
I think my wood guy is pretty sharp.
Since I dont count actual thickness the way a lumber yard would, even if its a close cut, they would still charge for thickness.
Most of the stuff I purchased is in the 5/4 to 6/4 range, and I count most of it as 1 flat.
I didnt bother counting alot of the strips and smaller pieces.
My total came out to 640 bf. Over 115 of that was mahogany, not that I would have purchased alot of odd ball sizes, just total bf. 130+ was maple.Ash and white oak was over 350 bf together, and then some odds and ends, like chestnut, beech, birch, not much but I counted it in.

He guesstimated my load at 730-780 bf total, he said maybe even 800, so he said give me 800 bucks, one dollar per bf for whatever I had.

Ok, a good deal for me, not a great deal to have to stock up on.
If I was more accurate Id say my count would go way up to well over 700 bf.

I just feel when purchasing wood cheap on a closeout kind of deal, I should be getting a tremendous bargain.

My lathe is unaccessable right now, all the wood leaning against the table its on.

Last edited:
Wow - I don't think I'd recognize Ash . . .

Ages ago I was working with Charlie - a retired Army Sargent originally from the South. He wanted me to get something in the storage yard where we worked. I heard "Get the chain from below that big ass tree over there". There were a bunch of big trees over there . . . I said "Which big ass tree are you referring to?". He laughed and said - NO - the big ASH tree and he pointed to the particular tree he meant.

Nice haul Allen. I'm totally willing to help you clear out your garage - just so you can access your lathe of course.

Cheers

Jim

He guesstimated my load at 730-780 bf total, he said maybe even 800, so he said give me 800 bucks, one dollar per bf for whatever I had.

Ok, a good deal for me, not a great deal to have to stock up on.
If I was more accurate Id say my count would go way up to well over 700 bf.

I just feel when purchasing wood cheap on a closeout kind of deal, I should be getting a tremendous bargain.

My lathe is unaccessable right now, all the wood leaning against the table its on.

At just on or over 1$ a board foot for that haul i would say you got your tremendous bargain Allen. Whoopee. But with you that aint gonna last long.:rofl:

storage is tending to be a problem.
I wont be doing much outside the next month or so at least, since I really have to get moving on my house work.
I just have to finish off a few odds and ends while I continue the painting and other nonsense.
By the summer, I might have to move some of it into my stores basement so I can free up some moving around space i nthe garage.
My first project after my house is a queen sized bed, and Im gonna need some space to build it.

At just on or over 1$ a board foot for that haul i would say you got your tremendous bargain Allen...

In my neck of the woods, that $800 might buy the 130 bf of maple. The last 8/4 maple I bought was over $10 per bf. So yeah, I'd say you got a great deal, at least from where I'm sitting. :thumb:

maple that expensive?
he seemed to be pushin it on me.
I could not left the 8/4 board, around 12 footers myself. Just too heavy.
He also had tons, and I mean tons, of 8/4/6/4 and 10-12/4 of something labeled english pine.

I gave him my number again, and asked him to call me when he needs to buy cherry or mahogany, and just to purchase extra and Id pick up any he didnt want.

at a dollar a board foot you done good allen on your mix.. ash isnt a high dollar wood but its over a dollar a foot over here where its readily accessable..:D:thumb::thumb: that should keep you busy sawun fer at least a month:)