Woodcarvers Toolbox

Hey guys! Haven't been online for a while. I wanted to update the final pictures of a project I built for a good friend for his 70th birthday. Mostly built of cherry, carcass is cherry veneered plywood. I glued the veneer. All drawers are cherry construction with handcut dovetails and basswood drawer front so he can carve into them.
He just flipped over it when he had his birthday. He carved deep relief and decoys along with other things so it has a storage area in back of box to store 8/4 x 20x20 pieces of basswood with no problem. The lid area has enough room for his duck bodies in progress.
When transporting, the stand will slip right over the top of the box. Carried by 2 handles on the sides. The front of the box folds down to make a work surface. I put a threaded insert in the front of the door where a leg screws into it for support. The leg is removed and put into back of box.

Attachments

• dovetails.jpg
    dovetails.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 95
  • Finished Toolbox.jpg
    Finished Toolbox.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 102
  • Finished Toolbox 2.jpg
    Finished Toolbox 2.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 96
  • Finished Toolbox 3.jpg
    Finished Toolbox 3.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 100
  • Toolbox Done.jpg
    Toolbox Done.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 90
well don ,,don:):thumb::thumb: i would say you had everything covered for him:) the drawer frnts had me puzzeld till i read your post.. another part of knowing your receiptant :)

Don't like your friend to much do you?? Trying to kill him off aren't you??? Man if I were 70 years young and get something like that, possible heart attack happening!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Man is that nice! I love the stacking/nesting idea so it is a compact unit. I can't get a sense of the size. About the size of a standard top box on a roll away tool cabinet? The details, drawers, inlay, the whole package, man, that is top notch from start to finish!!! Good reason to be away for a while Don. :headbang::headbang::thumb::thumb::bow::bow::clap::clap::clap:

Thanks everyone!

I appreciate the kind comments! This friend keeps in touch with me daily and is always ready to do anything I would need. Not many like that around. I was thrilled to be able to build it for him. I wont say it was that easy for me due to some serious health issues but I pushed my way through to get it done. Sure it took me longer than it would have someone else but this guy is worth it. Thanks again!

Donald very very nice box and given the story of your friendship its priceless and a real worthwhile effort for a friend like you describe. Really great to hear and see stories like this. The front flap/door/table inlay is a fantastic touch and the draws with their dovetails add a nice touch. I am sure this will be handed down or cherished for many years to come.

Great work and i hope your health improves. World needs people like you.:thumb: