Ice Fishing

Rob Keeble

Hi all

Anyone here have plans for Ice fishing tip ups. I have looked on the web an there aint no decent plans or really good pictures where one can see the detail

Also anyone got a sled the use to haul their stuff onto the ice. Not a sled for a shelter but a home made sled for all the goodies one takes ice fishing.

Since i aint allowed to go tomorrow thought i would get some prep done for next time if i get let out of the work gang work a while.:rofl: Have in mind to take the young un with a few friends and try to keep a Canadian traddition alive. Not sure these guys could hack it without the Xbox but its worth a try. ;):)

a real vortex

I once spent about a week, during the summer, on business, in Fondulac, Wisconsin. All the people there talked about was ice fishing. And, this was in the summer. The lathe thing a vortex? Not even close to ice fishing. Those folks are seriously addicted. They go out and sit on the ice in below zero weather. :eek: That's not normal. :rolleyes:

Found an interesting 'How to' as well.

1. Get a bait bucket. Only a rookie "from away" shows up at the local "Bait, Bullets n' Beer" without a bucket. You don't want to start your ice fishing weekend by having the crowd of usuals assembled therein mocking you as you walk out with your Zip-Loc bag full of shiners.

2. When you've reached your destination, load up your plastic toboggan with all the supplies you'll need to set your traps, and head out onto the ice.

- Bait bucket
- Auger
- Skimmer (great for launching slush balls at your buddies when their backs are turned).
- Ice fishing traps, or "Tip-ups"
- Two cases of the cheapest beer you can find (I recommend Narragansett pounders) and at least one bottle of good Irish whiskey per person.

3. Drill holes in ice, alternating between turns at the auger and swigs of beer and whiskey. If the ice beneath your feet shifts and makes that real deep cracking sound, scream like crazy and watch the "new guy" scream like a little girl.

4. Bait and set your tip-ups.

5. Retreat to bobhouse (or cabin back on shore, as long as traps are still in your line of sight).

6. Play cards and drink. Be sure to play a few rounds of {redacted} throughout the day to determine which one of your loser friends will head out with the skimmer to break the ice in the holes to keep your traps from freezing in. Should he refuse, smack him upside the head with your cribbage board. You did bring a cribbage board, right?

7. If during the course of the afternoon, one of your flags pops up, go see if there's a fish on the other end of the line. If there is, you're doing something wrong. Repeat step 6 until you finally get the hang of it.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

i was one of the foolish ones, frank talks about. i was on the ice everyday when it got so we could.thats from the end of dec to the end of march if we had ice, and we had barley pop for a warm up on most evenings:) had a shanty and the works..the best bang for the buck, is a polar the ones that are round rob. they keep the hole form frezun over pretty good and the reels dont get froze up to bad..once that line hits the cold air after its been tripped its froze solid and wont spool good the others are in the water and wont freeze..

Ice...

beer.jpg

Fishing...

4thFishing.jpg

That is all. :D

Years ago i spent a winter in Devils Lake, North Dakota. I went one time. They actually set up their "fishing shacks" in rows and set up street signs. Then with a generator they run their TV, Stereo and their HEATER in this 18x8 or 8x10 cubical.

If I were ever to go again the one item I would bring would be my Bible. I spent the whole day praying that the ice would not melt or break.

Jiggs Elphison

jiggs i have been on a lake not to far from rob that you could drive anything on and they had poles in the ice to mark the road for the school buss to the island.. we had 42" of ice.. it took the whole shaft of the ice auger to get threw.. that wont melt very fast you were more than safe:) its in the sprig time when you need to be carefull.. this lake was 45miles long. lake simco,, got some dandy perch. and saw some nice northerns taken as well

Growing up my Dad used to take me ice fishing all winter long. I carried on the tradition until I realized it is too flipping cold out there :eek::eek:
Guys up here have "bob" houses on the ice. Some have TV, heaters, stoves, and electronic fish finders. :dunno:
I hate fish anyway :rofl:

Every one I know here has just plan come to the realization that they are going ice drinking.:thumb: Some don't even take any tip ups with them any more:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

All the people there talked about was ice fishing. They go out and sit on the ice in below zero weather. :eek: That's not normal. :rolleyes:

Hey Frank, hard to sit on ice and ice fish in 80 degree weather!:eek::doh::huh::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Rob, I have a couple of ice fishing sleds, will try to remember tomorrow to get one down and take some pictures of it. If I forget, I will try to get it done Sunday. Have some roosters that have "volunteered" to go in the freezer so am taking them up on their offer tomorrow. Have around a dozen to butcher, won't take long, teaching future son in law so it will go pretty quick, he is good at taking care of game be it wild or domestic.

Me and ice, no go. Dad owned a wrecker my whole childhood, if we weren't pulling cars out of ditches or the river, we were collecting ice fishermen's pickups out of the "drink". I hate cold water, much less crawling out with a J hook and pulling a cable and hooking it onto the wrecker.

Last edited: