Design opportunities.

These are those occasions when something happens that makes you stop and think what you want to do with something. In other words...going through the bottom of the bowl, cracking the wood, knocking a bit off the rim. I'm sure it only happens to me of course :rofl: ( And Chuck of course which prompted me to think of this)

This is a classic example. A small walnut bowl that I went through the bottom having forgotten that I had a recess there. Left it on a shelf while I meditated on it for a week or two (forgot it) Knocked it off and snapped a bit off the rim. I plugged the hole with a small foot and a button, both ebonised and then went around the rim cutting back the chipped bit and copying the shape round the rim making the edge scalloped.
Result: One rescued bowl that would otherwise have gone on the fire and disappeared with no heating benefit as it's only 5mm thick.

Never throw something out, it can always be adapted or modified

pete

Nice save, Pete. :thumb: I've got a couple bottomless bowls kicking around the shop or house. As long as there's other wood in the pile, I haven't have much desire to try to salvage them. I've also had a few that were beyond salvaging, so they went to the great wood chipper in the sky. :p

The one on the right gave me the opportunity to change it to a cap rather than a hinged lid.:thumb:

Attachments

• tn_box 001.JPG
    tn_box 001.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 9
  • tn_box 002.JPG
    tn_box 002.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 11
Good looking save there Pete. I have 2 or 3 on the bench laying around just to remind me to measure once in a while. I have gotten to the point like Vaughn I have so much wood in the pile I don't mess with them any more.

It has nothing to do with how much wood is in the pile. It's more about not admitting defeat :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Right Pete:thumb:

As Chuck said, part of it is not giving in to my mistakes. Also I am not as well endowed with dry wood as some of you guys. Also it seems that If i am going to do something stupid it will always be with a decent piece of wood. Another factor is that if something's already damaged I have the chance to experiment and have a go at something that I perhaps would be nervous of trying on a well finished, undamaged piece.

Pete