New bench build

Dave Black

I started on building my french/ Chris Schwarz style bench. I realized that I didn't have enough oak to make it so I decided to make the top out of vertical laminations of Arauca Ply wood. Sunday I cut 4 sheets of it into 4" wide boards. In the evenings this week I glued up 42 of the boards into 6" wide sections so I can run them through the jointer and planer before I glue up all of it into the whole top. I'll have to take the camera over tomorrow and get some pics.

Looking forward to seeing the the project, Dave. Sam Blasco made a bench using laminated ply in a similar manner, and it ended up looking great. I don't think he ever posted pics here, but I remember seeing the project over on Sawmill Creek a few years ago.

I got the top glued up and planned flat more or less, now to work on the legs and the vises and the stretchers and the dog holes and on an on.

Dave,

Do you plan on using epoxy to soak / coat the top of the bench, ala Sam Blasco? Seemed to hold up well to alot of abuse. Look forward to some pics, too.

Regards,

pics?... yes

I thought about using something to coat the bench, I thought about fiberglass resin??? any other thoughts

Attachments

• DSCF1505.jpg
    DSCF1505.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 137
  • DSCF1506.jpg
    DSCF1506.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 130
  • DSCF1507.jpg
    DSCF1507.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 128
  • DSCF1511.jpg
    DSCF1511.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 135
  • DSCF1512.jpg
    DSCF1512.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 127
Looking good. Do you know how much the top weighs? Looks like it might not be going anywhere. lol

Don't know about other options, but Sam Blasco's Father in law worked with adhesives and was who recommended using the epoxy, as best as I can remember. May not be an option, but it might be worth comparing to other suggestions that come in. As I recall, I believe Sam also wrapped the top with purple heart (just about any hard wood would do) to help provide some strength to the edges so there wouldn't be any chipping.

Just food for thought.

That thing's gonna be all kinds of stout. Looks real good so far. :thumb: I line the mustard/mayo bottle for glue, too. The wide mount for easy refills and the the no-drip spout on the bottom make good sense.

Dang, I thought that was just a new-fangled type of glue, perhaps along the lines of hide glue. Lol.

(Sorry for the brief interruption.)

Dave that looks plenty strong. A great journey this i will be following along.:thumb:

I dont envy you getting that slab flat with a jointer in the end. You might wanna be thinking about some cladding or ya got your work cut out with a hand plane jointer and sharpening stones.:D

That thing's gonna be all kinds of stout. Looks real good so far. :thumb: I line the mustard/mayo bottle for glue, too. The wide mount for easy refills and the the no-drip spout on the bottom make good sense.

I like the bottle too, Its a Ken's honey mustard bottle but any no drip bottle works. I started buying titebond in gallons because I was using so much and I needed something smaller to apply it with. I was always annoyed with glue coming SLOWLY out of glue bottles as soon as any dried glue got in it, this eliminates that, I never have a problem with glue drying in the tip. I think titebond should be sold in these bottles (hint hint hint for anyone who might work there) I also have been starting to use a small 4" foam paint roller to spread the glue, I don't know if this is a new idea, but it works well, and I just wash out the roller when I am done and it good to go again.

I think the top weighs about 175 -200.

What type of epoxy should I use?

As best as I can recall, Sam used a product called West System. I'm fairly sure it's a marine epoxy. As for the top weight, sounds like it won't be wandering off. Great job!

Regards,

I got most of the steel mechanics for the wagon vise made tonight. I am doing something like the benchcrafted tail vise. I made the legs over the weekend so now I need to make the stretchers to go between the legs, cut the mortises in the top for the legs to go into, make the leg vise, install the wagon vise, modify and install the twin screw vise I made. I'm practically done;)

Here are some pics, some of the bench top, some of the slot for the wagon vise and some of the wagon vise mechanism.

Attachments

• DSCF1597.jpg
    DSCF1597.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCF1596.jpg
    DSCF1596.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCF1595.jpg
    DSCF1595.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCF1594.jpg
    DSCF1594.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCF1593.jpg
    DSCF1593.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCF1592.jpg
    DSCF1592.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCF1532.jpg
    DSCF1532.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCF1531.jpg
    DSCF1531.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCF1530.jpg
    DSCF1530.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCF1607.jpg
    DSCF1607.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 53
Dave you sure are talented.:thumb: What did you use to mill those holes in the bench top. I presume a router but did you do it from both sides or do you by chance have a milling machine handy in your shop.

Are you going to do anything with the steel bars the screw assembly has to run on or leave them as is? Just thinking out loud if it is to run like the videos in terms of smoothness and no friction then surely they will need treatment?

Thanks for sharing.:thumb: I put you in the Stu category with the make your own tools. I love it.;) look at what $14 bucks of bits can do.