And so it begins

Chuck can you tell us about the inside finish. Whats it able to take like if some idiot put hot tea in there would it be ok?:dunno:

They look so great.:thumb:

As we tell every one they take hot or cold beverages. Even though it will take hot tea we suggest you make your tea than put it in the mug.
Pretty much if you can drink it they can hold it for you. The one thing that everyone needs to keep in mind is that even though they are made of wood they can and do break. They do not like to be dropped or slammed around.
When cleaning just rinse them out and dry them. Never leave them to soak.
Also never put them in the microwave. The manufacture of the coating clams it to be dish washer safe. We do not under any circumstances think you should put them in the dish washer. Wood hates water.
You got the sphapeel now Rob:thumb::thumb:
Oh I also show them the microwave cup that is burned from being microwaved.:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Got to test these things don't ya know:thumb::rofl::rofl:
It takes about 3 days to get the smell of burning mug out of the kitchen.:thumb:

My wife went shopping in my shop. I have less mugs ready for the sale table:doh:
She only took the four most expansive ones I made.:eek::eek::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

ya... and I put the 2 really expensive ones back :p and they weren't ready for the sale table anyways :p :p
....and Don... kinda like breeding animals... when you help make it happen you get pick of the litter :thumb:
it goes something like this....
Chucky cuts the staves and puts them in piles according to what wood they are.... then I get to arrange all the staves in groups of 8 for each mug and then number them as to which one goes where in the mug
then he glues, cuts, shapes and sands
I figure out where on the mug the handle (that he makes and steams and sands and finishes) gets installed and some times which handle goes with which mug
I have also been known to help with applying the finish... even though the stuff is yucky and gross and does NOT like to come off.
So there ya go.... he does the majority of the labor stuff.... I do the majority of the eye appeal/design stuff
oh ya.... I had to spend some time building the image that was to go on Jonathan's mugs too :thumb:

We've got the same sort of division of labor around here as well...

It sure seems to work, those are some nice looking mugs!

Yesterday I got the rest of the handles finished up. I got the last of the outside first coat sanded today. After I got that done I was kinda at a stand still. I'm waiting on the Fedx guy to bring me more finish.:thumb:
So this afternoon while I waited, I used up some over stock handles on these.

Attachments

• tn_scrachers 001.JPG
    tn_scrachers 001.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Well about 90 of them are done, boxed up and loaded in the trailer.:thumb:
Pic one the boiling. Every mug gets dipped than after they cool they get filled to check for leaks and help cure the finish.
Pic two Nope no leaks here
Pic three all loaded up
pics four and five more scrap mug wood put to use. That is the same board in both pics

Attachments

• tn_mug27 005.JPG
    tn_mug27 005.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 44
  • tn_mug27 006.JPG
    tn_mug27 006.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 41
  • tn_mug27 004.JPG
    tn_mug27 004.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 46
  • tn_mug27 007.JPG
    tn_mug27 007.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 44
  • tn_mug27 008.JPG
    tn_mug27 008.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
What can i say quality control like never before.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Did you have any that leaked?

Best of luck Chuck, hope you clean up and sell out. You deserve every penny and more. Those boards are great and unique.:thumb:

Be sure to let us know how it went.

Safe travels you pirate.:D

Well just rolled in from this weekends event.:thumb: Between the rain and wind gusts up to I think they said 65 mph. The turn out was at best poor.:doh: Two more weekends to go:thumb: