And so it begins

Oh I should add the use of these mugs seems to be directly connected to speakers falling off the wall.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Right Tom:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Well It's been a long boring day. 33, 2.25" by 7.50" holes:thumb:
No pics for the drilling yet I still have some left to do.........like 73 of them:rofl:

Yet another boring day:thumb:
1 yesterdays boring The first hole was 2.25 the bit I used was given to me by a plumber friend. It got dull and he was going to toss it' It took me 2 minutes to bring it back to life.
2 today's boring
3 tenons put on yesterdays boring
4 putting the tenon on I took one of my el chepos and ground it just for tenons
5 had to test drive the tenon and the new to me bit
6 a shot of the second boring this time on the lathe with a 2.75" bit, this bit was also tossed by my friend. It wobbled turns out that it was the mandrel it was on not the bit it's self.
7 holes all drilled and the tenon cut off. back on the minni for some clean up.
8 a shot of the end.

Attachments

• tn_mugs3 001.JPG
    tn_mugs3 001.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 87
  • tn_mugs3 006.JPG
    tn_mugs3 006.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 82
  • tn_mugs3 005.JPG
    tn_mugs3 005.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 79
  • tn_mugs3 004.JPG
    tn_mugs3 004.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 229
  • tn_mugs3 003.JPG
    tn_mugs3 003.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 77
  • tn_mugs3 002.JPG
    tn_mugs3 002.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 78
  • tn_mugs3 008.JPG
    tn_mugs3 008.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 82
  • tn_mugs3 007.JPG
    tn_mugs3 007.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
The first hole was 2.25 the bit I used was given to me by a plumber friend. It got dull and he was going to toss it' It took me 2 minutes to bring it back to life.

The second boring this time on the lathe with a 2.75" bit, this bit was also tossed by my friend. It wobbled turns out that it was the mandrel it was on not the bit it's self.

Can you share a little more info about these huge honking bits you use for boring? Are they like the standard kind of hole saws? Or something different?

Thanks!

Carbide Tip Wood Core Drills
for large deep hole wood drilling!
1/2" to 24" diameters any depth!
When you need to core either samples or for inspection
of timbers. Best for cutting seawalls, frames, footers, bridge inspections. Installation of braces and more.
The carbide tip design ensures clean smooth holes in the toughest wood.
core carbide
At some point I'll get a few of these. That way I wont have to stop and cut the core out.
As it is now I can go in 2.75" then I have to cut that part of the core out. Run the bit in another 2.75 and cut that core out. Then run the bit in for the finish depth. I took one of my el chepos and bent a 90 on the end and sharpened it up to cut the cores out. I put a mark on it for each depth.

Last edited:
Well Brent it looks like there might be some new bits in order sooner than I was hopping. The used bit I got from my plumber seems to be all used up now. The last touch up seems to have taken just enough off the tooth so that the barrel is binding in the hole. I will mess with it more tomorrow to see if I can get a few more out of it. All in all I would say that I got my monies worth from it. I managed to drill 37.5 feet of hole with it. Not bad for something that was tossed in the trash.:thumb:

If you look at it that way John theirs been 2645.33 lineal feet of ripping just for the mug run. That does not count the first pass to straighten them out. :thumb:
And that blade is still going strong.

Ok so the bit drills on:thumb: I touched up the edge and relized that when I was sharping it that I had been forgetting to round over the edge of the tube. Sanded that over and it cuts like a hot knife in butter again.
pic 1 a pile of drilled and rounded
2 Another pile of drilled and rounded but this pile has been proofed for which end is up.
3 Had to start another run:thumb:
4 yup made a few chips today. I had to toss this one in just so everyone could see just how clean Rennie's shop really is.:rofl::rofl:

Attachments

• tn_mug4 004.JPG
    tn_mug4 004.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 67
  • tn_mug4 003.JPG
    tn_mug4 003.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 65
  • tn_mug4 002.JPG
    tn_mug4 002.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 60
  • tn_mug4 001.JPG
    tn_mug4 001.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Got some more done on them today:thumb:
First pic I'm just starting to shape this one.
second pic is of 10 all shaped waiting for the next step
Third pic I really like this oak one
last pic any one for a few napkin rings? Those are the core that has to be cleared before I can drill deeper.

Attachments

• tn_mugs5 001.JPG
    tn_mugs5 001.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 64
  • tn_mugs5 002.JPG
    tn_mugs5 002.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 68
  • tn_mugs5 003.JPG
    tn_mugs5 003.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 78
  • tn_mugs5 004.JPG
    tn_mugs5 004.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Hey Chuck, those "napkin" rings, if they are durable, narrowed (get two or more by cutting on the bandsaw) and edge sanded, a little finish, KaLea could sell them as children's bracelets!:thumb: