Jiffy Lube Gets Busted

This is actually a few years old...Channel 4 did several other follow-up sting operations at Jiffy Lube and another one of the other lube change chains. The local places seem to have changed their ways, based on some of the later follow-ups, but there are still reports of shenanigans. I've actually done business with the one in Glendale that's mentioned in the video (a few years prior to this video), but I've always known to watch shops like that to be sure I'm getting what I'm paying for. They all seem to do a lot of upselling, too. :rolleyes: Guys like these make it difficult for all the honest mechanics out there. (Jim O'Dell and the other 27 of them.):rofl:

Just kidding Jim...there are probably more honest mechanics than dishonest ones, but it's the low-lifes that make you appreciate the good ones that much more.

I've only heard horror stories about Jiffy Lube. I don't use the quick oil change places anymore either after seeing reports on their service. My truck gets repairs done by me or by the dealer.

Never used them.
Never use the brake places either.
I do all of that myself, being a retired truck, shop foreman mechanic for 25 years

Please no one act surprised.......:rolleyes:

Dissapointed, you bet, but surprised?

I always ask for the used parts when I take something into be serviced, if they do not produce the parts, I refuse to pay, and yes, I tell them before hand.

[SIZE=-1]Caveat Emptor :thumb:[/SIZE]

I remember hearing of a similar problem with Sears auto shops a few years back. Gotta love those tiny hidden cameras. :D

I've never had a problem with Jiffy Lube, but then I'm always sitting in the lobby chair that faces the window to the shop. I can watch them working while I sip one of their free cups of joe. My rule is: if I can't see into the shop, I don't trust 'em.

But I had a different experience at one of the local Valvoline lube shops a few years ago. After getting my 15 minute oil change, I drove off. Then the car ran like crap and killed on a busy street. After getting it towed (free - AAA covered it) to have a real mechanic look at it (not so free - $100+), I found out that the the trained chimp back at Valvoline had knocked a few vacuum hoses loose while working on the car.

Cheers,

Kevin

Jiffy Lube and the FAST MOVING EMISSIONS MACHINE

After waiting 30 minutes for an emissions test on my vehicle watching the guy have a hard time testing the car ahead of me, I sat there and watched him drive the car out of the bay with the machine STILL CONNECTED TO THE CAR! Boy those emissions machines roll REAL GOOD when they're being dragged. Too bad they don't work as well after they get dragged across the parking lot. Had to go to another place for my test! :doh:

Mike

Back in the70's I had a cheap Porsche 914 1.7 liter. I had done the brake job several times but needed to have it done and had no time. Took it to the dealer, paid porsche brake price and headed to the freeway. Heard unusual noises from right front tire. Stopped pulled over jacked the car up on the entrance ramp to the freeway,removed tire and proceeded to correct backwards placement of some part that was half off and the other half backwards. So much for the dealers, I guess beginner dealer mechanics do cheap porsche brakes, poorly. :dunno:
Shaz

...I found out that the the trained chimp back at Valvoline had knocked a few vacuum hoses loose while working on the car...

I've had issues with these places, too.... but at least the kids there have a JOB, and aren't standing on the street corner.

When it comes down to it, a great many jobs out there are 'trained chimp' kinda jobs.

.... Yes, I agree with you in one way. But, according to the video, they are openly being taught how to be crooks and that, my friend in their mind, is suppose to be the American way on how to live. Do we really want our standards, standard of living, morals, etc. to degenerate anymore than they already have?

Think about it.

:(

I've had issues with these places, too.... but at least the kids there have a JOB, and aren't standing on the street corner.

When it comes down to it, a great many jobs out there are 'trained chimp' kinda jobs.

They are pushy in my area to do LOTS of additional services. I got burned with them when I had to get my truck inspected last year (NC has vehicle inspections). I had 7 bulbs out and they charged $7 a bulb. I verified they were out, but geez, $50 for 7 bulbs?

True. But they do far less damage when they're standing on the street corner. :rofl:

Cheers,

Kevin

One of those places tried to give me the old air cleaner shaft once. They brought out a dirty round air cleaner to show me when my car used a square one. That didn't go over very well.

.... Yes, I agree with you in one way. But, according to the video, they are openly being taught how to be crooks and that, my friend in their mind, is suppose to be the American way on how to live. Do we really want our standards, standard of living, morals, etc. to degenerate anymore than they already have?

Think about it.

:(

My response was about Kevin's 'trained chimp' comment. I couldn't ever get the video to load, but I'm sure I'd agree with your sentiments.