more 'puter advice needed

Frank Fusco

We have lot of good 'puter techies here.
Need help again.
I have a Linksys wireless router that has been in use for about seven years and doing a good job in the house.
When Rennie was here he tried to access the signal but was told a password was needed. I either never knew my password or forgot it seven years ago.
A local computer tech told me it came with a default of 'admin' , I guess short for administrator. Well, folks, doesn't work. We tried everything I could think of but nothing works.
Is there a way to recover my secret password?
And, yes, I'm going to contact Linksys but am not optimistic they can help.

I'll help as much as I can, but this is probably the same thing Linksys will tell you.

I assume you don't have the manual? Look on the router and find the model number and then find the manual on their website here: http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/support

There's no way that I know of to get the password if you don't know it but as a last resort, there is probably a reset button you can press on the router to remove the password. I assume you setup the password at some point so if you press the reset button, you'll have to set it up again to keep your neighbors from using your internet connection for free.

Oh, the default password is probably to access the settings for the router and not to connect to it for access to the internet. I've never used anything but Linksys, and you usually access the settings by going to http://192.168.0.0 or something like that. There isn't a default password when you setup encryption on your router.

To add to what has been mentioned, as Dan said, the default password is normally to access the configuration settings. If you type your routers ip address in your browser, you should go to the log in screen for your router. To find it, (I'm assuming WinXP here.. someone else will have to chime in for Vista) open a dos window (start, programs, accessories, command prompt) (or, start, run, cmd) and type ipconfig /all Then look for the string of numbers that follow Default Gateway. This is your routers ip address. Once you log in, you can then navigate to your security settings and find the password for your wireless connection.

Brian

I don't know if this is the same situation but when someone needs to access my wireless the password they use to connect is the serial number of my router. Their computer asks for a password or wep address(?). Using the SN allows them to connect.
I can't remember my password either. I'd like to change it so a password is not required.

Let me start slow, you need to reset your router. Hold the button in for about 20 seconds. After that you need to logon into the router with an internet browser like Internet Exporer (IE) using a wire. With IE go to 192.168.1.1, and you should get some kind of login box, the default user name needs to be left blank and the password is admin. If 192.168.1.1 does not work, follow instructions below to find your router address the address will be 192.168.x.1.

Once you are logged in you will be able to set up whatever security you want.

I don't know if this is the same situation but when someone needs to access my wireless the password they use to connect is the serial number of my router. Their computer asks for a password or wep address(?). Using the SN allows them to connect.
I can't remember my password either. I'd like to change it so a password is not required.

Very bad idea to leave an open WiFi network around unless you live far from anyone or know how to setup file security on every computer and device on your local network, other computers on your local network have access to your printer, and maybe your files.

One of my kids printed out their homework on a neighbors printer and a neighbor printed naked picture on my young kids printer before we got security set up properly.

Very bad idea to leave an open WiFi network around unless you live far from anyone or know how to setup file security on every computer and device on your local network, other computers on your local network have access to your printer, and maybe your files.

One of my kids printed out their homework on a neighbors printer and a neighbor printed naked picture on my young kids printer before we got security set up properly.

Good point Paul.:eek:

Let me start slow, you need to reset your router. Hold the button in for about 20 seconds. After that you need to logon into the router with an internet browser like Internet Exporer (IE) using a wire. With IE go to 192.168.1.1, and you should get some kind of login box, the default user name needs to be left blank and the password is admin. If 192.168.1.1 does not work, follow instructions below to find your router address the address will be 192.168.x.1.

Once you are logged in you will be able to set up whatever security you want.

Depending on the type of Linksys router, it may be different. Not all routers have a port to connect a cable to. I think we need to find out what model the router is before we can provide any more help.

I understand that but appreciate the warning. We live, semi-rural, unlikely anyone could access ours. If anybody gets too close to the house I don't know the shotgun comes out. ;)

I did find a procedure on the Linksys site that involves resetting. I'll read carefully plus re-read posts here. My wife uses the 'receive' end of this router. And, she won't need a wireless system to let me know what she is thinking if I knock out her ability to access the 'net. :eek:
Thanks all for the advice.

I did find a procedure on the Linksys site that involves resetting. I'll read carefully plus re-read posts here. My wife uses the 'receive' end of this router. And, she won't need a wireless system to let me know what she is thinking if I knock out her ability to access the 'net. :eek:
Thanks all for the advice.

Better tell her before you reset it or she might be chasing you with the shotgun. :rofl:

Depending on the type of Linksys router, it may be different. Not all routers have a port to connect a cable to. I think we need to find out what model the router is before we can provide any more help.

If it is a router it has at least one Ethernet port (usually labeled uplink). The cable I an referring to is an Ethernet cable.

If it is a router it has at least one Ethernet port (usually labeled uplink). The cable I an referring to is an Ethernet cable.

Yep. I have several cartons of cables and 'stuff' accumulated over the years. We hooked up my daughters laptop with a cable. She wasn't too happy having her 'portable' computer chained up like that.

If you just want to get things running quickly, just reset the router. "Every" computer will just connect no issues. Once you have everyone connected enabling security is not that big a deal.