Driving in the snow

My 4x4 van kicked butt in the last storm with the ATV in the back. I need to pick up my son Jake down at Fork Union in middle Va Tomorrow at 12:30 for Winter break. It's 2.5 hours one way. May take all day to get back with out major hold ups. I am thinking of letting him stay at the school and ask him to apply for leave next weekend. But I love driving in the snow. The Road warrior spirit is strong. LOL We are expecting over 2 '

I've logged hundreds of hours of driving TT in snow in Korea, school buses, hunting trips so I have no problem with the driving part. It's the fools I need to get around the 2 wheel drive cars that move or don't move. That want to drive in the fast lane at 10 MPH LOL

If I were single I would join my cousin in Alaska and drive the Ice Roads. That would be awesome.

For those of you who haven't heard, this is what Dave's talking about:

http://www.weather.com/weather/aler...ificance=W&areaid=MDZ009&office=KLWX&etn=0006

The city was completely shut down last weekend by far less than half of the snow we're expecting this time. Of course Doorlink, as dyed-in-the-wool New Englander, was out driving in it. The snow itself didn't bother her, but I got an earful about the local drivers. On the cellphone. In real time... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

You know, I'm good with that... :thumb:

The snow being all in your area that is. I was just thinking about this yesterday, and we have not got anywhere near the amount of snow we normally get. Usually we have one or two major snowfalls by now, and so far, just a few inches here and there. Right now I'm looking at grass as the snow has pretty much all melted.

I do know what you mean about the traffic hazzards on the road tho. I drive TT right now, used to drive a tour bus. It doesn't seem to matter where you are, you still get those white-knuckled drivers in the passing lane.

Brian, global warming is moving up to you guys and the cold air stream in moving south. Just a flip flop. :rofl:

Just got an E-mail telling me I can pick him up after3 PM today. Later.

Last edited:
I've only plowed once and that didn't really need to be done. I only did it in case it snowed again (it didn't) so it wouldn't build up on top of packed snow from driving on it.

We might get a couple inches tomorrow night into Saturday early morning the way it sounds.

I've only plowed once and that didn't really need to be done. I only did it in case it snowed again (it didn't) so it wouldn't build up on top of packed snow from driving on it.

We might get a couple inches tomorrow night into Saturday early morning the way it sounds.

yup this year has been pretty mild alot milder than what i expected from the fall we had..the snow plowers are cryun the blues no snow to plow:thumb:

yup this year has been pretty mild alot milder than what i expected from the fall we had..the snow plowers are cryun the blues no snow to plow:thumb:

Totally the opposite here...big year for snow pushers...3-5 more on the way tonight and tomorrow. I'm tired of it!!

Dave and Bill...looks like you guys are in for it...better make sure you have the cuboards stocked! :wave:

oh dont start the raids so soon jeff:) walmart and the local stores could get ransacked:) cant understand why folks dont have what they need for emergency times and yet they have to go get carts full in case the world is dark for more than a day:rofl::rofl:

oh dont start the raids so soon jeff:) walmart and the local stores could get ransacked:) cant understand why folks dont have what they need for emergency times and yet they have to go get carts full in case the world is dark for more than a day:rofl::rofl:

My point exactly! The crowds at the grocery store before a storm are more annoying than the bad drivers if you ask me...

....now I'm off to get another 30 pack, just to be safe. :D:rofl:

If I were single I would join my cousin in Alaska and drive the Ice Roads. That would be awesome.

Awesome? You sure about that, Dave? I've read a bit about the guys that drive the ice roads in the Yukon and NWT and they all say that the speed limit on these roads is something around 25kph/15mph.

Reeeel exciting. I read that these guys sometimes watch DVDs while they drive. I was shocked, until I noticed the speedlimit. Yeah, at 25kph not much worry there.

The snow itself didn't bother her, but I got an earful about the local drivers. On the cellphone. In real time... ;)

Hope she had a bluetooth headset. Or is talking on the cellphone while driving not illegal there?

yup this year has been pretty mild alot milder than what i expected

Yeah it was real mild last month. But right now it's perfect backyard rink weather here -- -10c at night which is great weather for topcoating your rink, and then around -2/-1 daytime highs which are pretty decent.

...art

Quick trip, 2.5 hours down and 3 hours back because of the rush hour around the beltway. My system is still hyper so maybe a class of wine will settle me down.
25 MPH or 15 mph it would still be great, the scenery alone would keep my attention.

the entire capital region has been known to have the worst recovery from heavy snowfall amounts. 4 inches paralyze Washington DC.
If 24 inches of snow fall on the capital, they will be shut down for 2 weeks.