Washer type mechanism, need help!

Hey everyone :wave: It has been quite some time since I've been on here. Hope everyone is doing well!

I'm looking for a specific kind of washer (at least I guess that's what you'd call it) and I cannot find it ANYWHERE. It is hard to explain exactly what it is, but I guess you would call it a serrated washer, or washer with teeth :dunno: I attached a picture below with an arrow pointing to the part I'm talking about.

I want to use it in the same application that the picture is showing. I have built adjustable arms to add to my keyboard stand so that I have 2 tiers and can put my synthesizer above my keyboard to play in my band. I attached a couple of pictures to show what I've built so you get an idea. At first I thought the arms would sag when weight was applied to them so I put nylon washers inbetween the moving parts, but those showed no sign of resistance. Then I got some rubber washers and that helped, but the arms still sag slooooowwly until they rest against my keyboard below when I apply weight.

These big washers with teeth I believe would be the perfect solution. I know I have seen them on a number of household items but I have looked everywhere and cannot find them sold seperately. I checked both Rockler and a local Ace Hardware that usually has ANY piece of hardware you can imagine, but no luck :( Then I spent a long time looking online but can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I suppose it would help if I even knew what to call it :dunno: I am not picky on the size but the steel I used is 1 1/2" so something around that would be great. Wondering if anyone has seen these sold seperately and has an idea where to buy them? Or if anyone has an idea for a different solution? Thanks guys

Attachments

• Adjustable washer2.JPG
    Adjustable washer2.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 94
  • Keyboard Stand 1.jpg
    Keyboard Stand 1.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 49
  • Keyboard Stand 2.jpg
    Keyboard Stand 2.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Keyboard Stand 3.jpg
    Keyboard Stand 3.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 48
westly i have seen them in applications like yours but not loose.. but what about putting some coarse sand paper on one or both surfaces and that should grip it well enough to hold possibly..

I've got what looks like the same brand of keyboard stand, and I haven't really seen anything like the serrated plates available elsewhere. They're not really washers per se, since they're attached to the arm and the stand and not loose in between the two, like a washer would be. The Nord-Lock or other tooth lock washers might work, but I'm not sure if they'd be as stable as the meshed serrated plates.

I realize this goes against the "make it yourself" philosophy, but how about something like these?

http://accessories.musiciansfriend....S7350-Pro-Folding-Z-Keyboard-Stand?sku=451023

Several other options listed on the right side of the page, too.

Everyone, thanks for the suggestions. I truely appreciate it. Dan I saw some of those at the hardware store and was saving them for a last solution. Thanks for the post... I might end up using them. Vaughn yes I agree with what you are saying they are not necesarilly washers but I was wondering if they were sold seperately and then I would just weld them to each side of my metal arms inbetween the joints, or if they came in plastic I could just glue them. But I can't seem to find them anywhere :dunno: Oh well, it was worth a shot. Yes at this point those pre-made ones you've shown me are looking good :) But I've already put enough time and money into the ones I've made so I gotta go all the way ;) Everything came out to about $30 so I'm pretty happy. Plus it was fun cutting and welding everything. I will make a trip to the hardware store soon at gather up some nord-lock washers or something similar and see what I can work out. Thanks again everyone.

Vaughn what kind of keyboard do you have?

I've got what looks like the same brand of keyboard stand, and I haven't really seen anything like the serrated plates available elsewhere. They're not really washers per se, since they're attached to the arm and the stand and not loose in between the two, like a washer would be. The Nord-Lock or other tooth lock washers might work, but I'm not sure if they'd be as stable as the meshed serrated plates.

I realize this goes against the "make it yourself" philosophy, but how about something like these?

http://accessories.musiciansfriend....S7350-Pro-Folding-Z-Keyboard-Stand?sku=451023

Several other options listed on the right side of the page, too.

...Vaughn what kind of keyboard do you have?

I've got a cheap Yamaha (PSR225GM) for doing simple things like bass lines, strings, and percussion. (I'm not much of a keyboard player.) I use the stand for the keyboard, a Fostex 8-track digital multi-tracker, and a 6-space equipment rack with things like a Quadraverb and a compressor/limiter. I haven't use the Fostex in several years...what little recording I've done has been directly into the PC with things like Guitar Tracks Pro or Riffworks.

Hey me too I pmed you about it.:rofl::rofl:

Seems Mc Masters dont allow one to point to an actual item on their site. Really silly.

Here all three of us tried. Vaughn did the right thing by calling names.:rofl::rofl:

Yep, I agree, the Wedge Lock washers are the way to go, but for a DIY solution, I like Larry's. You would have to make some disks, as a regular washer would not have enough surface area, maybe a fender washer would :dunno:

Some #120 grit PSA sandpaper, and some washers, you might even have that stuff lying around, give it a go :wave:

Wes, I think Vaughn hit a home run with his suggestion! Man that is a cool site!! I was thinking about this yesterday and was thinking of oversized washers, much like fender washers as Stu suggested, but they need to be thick, then one of them could be drilled in one spot, the other a series of holes so then when a hole lines up a pin could be slipped in. Good luck!!!! Great question and really like the answers offered!!!

As Vaughn mentioned, I don't believe they are called washers. If I interpret what you are looking for correctly, they are toothed adjusters, such as I have on the handle of my lawn mower.

I'll see if I can find such a critter somewhere and let you know.

Jim

Westly do you take apart often?

Bill, with that kind of instrument stand, usually you just loosen up a couple of knobs and fold the support arms down for transport. Sort of like the folding lawnmower handle Jim was talking about. But when they're up and supporting a keyboard (or other electronics), they need to have a no-slip grip and be able to support some pretty serious weight. I've probably got 40 or 50 pounds on my upper shelf alone.

Gear Stand 1 600.jpg