Rob Keeble

Whats your take on the movie Avatar for those of you that have seen it.

I saw it in 3D and IMAX what an experience.

Just hope if we ever do find others in this universe that we dont treat them like that. But history tells me we likely will do it just the same.

By the way did ya all know IMAX is a Canadian invention.:thumb::D:D:D

I really liked the fantasy graphics and so forth.........but I hated the portrayal of humans and the environmentalism. I suppose you have to have a story but some of the philosophy struck me as a blatant attempt at brainwashing.

Seen it in 2D, liked it a lot, not the script but the development of the film from all aspects. The imagination put on so many details of Pandora is awesome. All the imagination devoted to the design of the whole thing is subdued by the poor story.

There are many ideas taken from other books or movies. i.e. The impregnation of the birds or Toruk Malo is taken from a Dragon's novel where the initiation and impregnation ritual is almost the same. I can see a lot of similarities with " A man called horse" as well.

IMHO it is a good film to see for leisure, I mean it is like reading a comic or a novel, but for the amount of money it costed I would have liked to find a more elaborated script.

As per the message behind, well... to such kind we belong and unfortunately there are many examples of the same behaviour in mankind history.

My friend the movie reviewer calls it a "beauty queen": Pretty, but not something lasting. Or also "Dances with Wolves" meets "Terminator".

And I assume you've seen the joke scripts on the internet that liken it to Pocahontas?

I thought the graphics were stunning, and there was sure lots of imagination in how they built the "world" of the movie. But the plot was kind of basic.
(the whole Military guy reporting to a Corporate flack seemed rather farfetched. Really, who was in charge there?)

But on the other hand, what a crazy rollercoaster ride! We sure didn't notice the 3hr length!

I've shared the general consensus that the storyline was a bit amiss. Did a little searching and found out that the original name for the story line was Project 880. Here's a site that goes over many of the differences between the original scripment and the movie. http://www.chud.com/articles/articles/21969/1/PROJECT-880-THE-AVATAR-THAT-ALMOST-WAS/Page1.html

It's really too bad they couldn't have stuck with the original story line as it had some originality to it. The graphical achievement certainly made it a worthwhile viewing though. Sort of jealous of the IMAX viewing though.

I also saw it in 3D... I agree it was an awesome movie with a great story line... during the movie I didn't read anything into the story other than the story. Very much like Chuck!

After the movie I did think about what some of our ancestors did to the indigenous people here in the Americas.

Whats your take on the movie Avatar for those of you that have seen it.

I saw it in 3D and IMAX what an experience.

Just hope if we ever do find others in this universe that we dont treat them like that. But history tells me we likely will do it just the same.

As long as they don't find us and do it to us first :D

Haven't seen it yet but looking forward to it.

I thought the visuals were awesome, the story a little tiresome and predictable, but a pretty good and darn entertaining movie. Well worth seeing in 3D.

Not many movies get me inside the confines of a theater, as I prefer to watch movies at home. But some movies demand the theater setting. This was one of them.

I did not know that. I have been to an IMAX a couple times and it is really fun. Wait a minute; this isn't a joke like how Chekov on the original Star Trek said everything was invented in Russia, is it? I have not seen the movie yet but, I don't get out much. Didn't someone call the story line 'Pocahontas in Space'? I suppose it may be predictable but is told to be visually remarkable.

Last edited:
I thought the visuals were awesome, the story a little tiresome and predictable, but a pretty good and darn entertaining movie. Well worth seeing in 3D.

Not many movies get me inside the confines of a theater, as I prefer to watch movies at home. But some movies demand the theater setting. This was one of them.

I'm with you Brent on watching movies at home... even on my little 13" screen in my study or the 15" screen on the computer monitor... sometimes will go into the LR and watch on the 32".. we're not very modern here yet...:rofl:

You know there are only about 3 or 4 story lines anyway, just different characters and times.

I saw it in 2D on a 17" monitor, waste of 3 hours, IMHO. I understand that in 3D it is amazing!

As to the story line, this >> HERE << pretty much sums up my opinion... :D

I've shared the general consensus that the storyline was a bit amiss. Did a little searching and found out that the original name for the story line was Project 880. Here's a site that goes over many of the differences between the original scripment and the movie. http://www.chud.com/articles/articles/21969/1/PROJECT-880-THE-AVATAR-THAT-ALMOST-WAS/Page1.html

It's really too bad they couldn't have stuck with the original story line as it had some originality to it. The graphical achievement certainly made it a worthwhile viewing though. Sort of jealous of the IMAX viewing though.

That was interesting Matt, I think the original concept might have explained a few things in the movie, but would not have been quite so dramatic as the final edition... a little extra dramatic license here I think..

But it's interesting that Hollywood can take a good book, toss half of it away and make a movie from just a small part of it.... I read the book Starship Troopers.. all in all a very interesting book... more of a political treatise than a war story.... the movie was made from about 8 pages in the book... and even those 8 pages was only a superficial treatment of the war with the 'bugs'... the shower scene, the love scene and the final capture of the "brain bug" was not in the book... more dramatic license.

I also read Battlefield Earth... if you take the movie and have never read the book, it was a decent movie.. (I like science fantasy)(not sure you can call it science fiction)... but in a context of the book, it was not well done. I think the casting was stretched at best.. Travolta wanted to play the lead role of the human character, but had gotten too old, so he played the bad-a$$ cat person... They didn't develop characters well at all.

In Avatar there were a few characters that weren't developed all that well... Sully was one, how did he lose his legs, they didn't develop any relationship with his brother, the Na'vi characters weren't well developed either... but still I really enjoyed the movie and when it comes out on DVD, my step-son will buy it for his collection and I'll watch it again.

I saw it in 3d, but will probably go back to see it at the IMAX. I felt there was a message behind the story and the movie was good. I found myself swatting at the fireflys as they buzzed past me. I'm looking forward to seeing other 3d movies now.

I've talked with others about the movie and they want to go back. One friend said he notices something that he hadn't before each time. For instance, the avatars have 4 fingers, the natives have 3. ;)

The visual is stunning saw it 3 D the first day, but it is nothing more than Fern Gully in the theme and story. several questions came to mind though in regards to the vortex area where the islands of rock are floating only being held to the planet surface with the tree root. Where do the water falls come from? During the battle scene where people get knocked off the ships why do they fall? if there is no gravity in that area shouldn't they float up? Intersting how they can't breath in the envorinmet but they can use flame throwers and things burn as they would on earth.

in regards to the vortex area where the islands of rock are floating only being held to the planet surface with the tree root. Where do the water falls come from? During the battle scene where people get knocked off the ships why do they fall? if there is no gravity in that area shouldn't they float up?

Actually if there wasn't any gravity they wouldn't float "up", they'd just float. ;)

As to the gravity Drew... I read somewhere on a "fan" site that the supposed backstory (that Cameron didn't fit into the movie) was that there were naturally occurring mineral deposits there which were superconductors, and those mountains were floating because they were being held up by the superconductors being affected by an intens magnetic field, and NOT because of some sort of zero gravity.

(and the scary part is, that actually sort of made sense when I read it.)

Actually if there wasn't any gravity they wouldn't float "up", they'd just float. ;)

As to the gravity Drew... I read somewhere on a "fan" site that the supposed backstory (that Cameron didn't fit into the movie) was that there were naturally occurring mineral deposits there which were superconductors, and those mountains were floating because they were being held up by the superconductors being affected by an intens magnetic field, and NOT because of some sort of zero gravity.

(and the scary part is, that actually sort of made sense when I read it.)

That is an interesting explination and the first that I have heard, but it still doesn't explain the masive ammount of water that creates the water falls?

Also with apposing magnetis fields you have both positive and a negetive polarities so if there is a natural occuring magnetic field and that reversing polarities are holding up these huge mass's it would stand to figure that these mass's have a positive as well as negetive to create this magnetic field so why don't they just flip to mate the polarities? If you play with magnets this is a "normal " result in pushing the polarities against each other.