Family WWing traveling plaque

Taking off of Matt W's idea.

We need a Plaque made like the logo here on the site. It would have to be small enough to fit into a fixed rate shipping box from the post office.

How it would work. Lets use Larry as an example, he likes to be picked on.

Larry has the plaque, he takes it to local areas of interest, takes a few picture of the plaque and himself or just the spot in question. He post the pictures. He then says PM for who wants it next. First PM gets it shipped to them. No one but the sender knows where it went until the next set of pictures are posted. Then the cycle just keeps repeating.

that sounds intersting but i am not gonna pm you for it:rofl::rofl: we will let ken werner have it he started this year off with a trip.. and Pete Simmons is the man to make it his lazer work is excellent:thumb::thumb:

USPS has Global Flat Rates for Canada and the rest of the world. Currently $11.45 and $13.45 for a four pound box.

FWIW.

This site is unique in that there are many folks from different countries, and we would not want to leave them out. So, guys and gals, from out of the USA, how does your postal/shipping system handle this?

Just saying this as it might set a limit on size and weight so more folks could participate.

In any event, count me in.

Just saying this as it might set a limit on size and weight so more folks could participate.

Carol has got some great thoughts there. It would be great if we could tailor the size to allow a wider audience. You folks outside the lower 48, give us some input please.

This site is unique in that there are many folks from different countries, and we would not want to leave them out. .[/QUOTE]

I dont count the Canadians as foreigners. No matter how many times I go into Canada I never feel like Im in a foreign country.

I must have missed something, just been away for three days and I have no clue of what you all are talking about.

If I have to carve a plaque I need to know the size, in inches or millimeters, I have no idea of what size is the maximum for a fixed rate sized box.

While I'm happy that you like my work I do not know if I will be able to have it ready for April 1st:dunno:

So I guess that Larry's idea of using Peter Simons laser is the fastest way of getting the plaque

So I am guessing this a likable idea? I know there will be a few bugs to be worked out. Referring to Post Office box, I was using that for a general size. The plan would be for this to make all the rounds, all around the world. Maybe sign and date the back, also. Imagine where this could travel.

USPS flat rate box sized: 5-3/8” x 8-5/8” x 1-5/8” is (and I quote) "$4.95 — one price, regardless of weight, up to 70 lbs. for U.S. addresses. The international price, for up to 4 lbs., is just $11.45 to Canada or Mexico and $13.45 to all other countries, with savings of 5 percent for customers who ship online."

I was actually thinking of something smaller but, that is the smallest flat rate box I found.

FYI - when I read the thread title I mis-interpreted a letter and read it as "Family WWing traveling PLAGUE". :rofl:

I wasn't sure WHO you were referring to . . . :dunno:

Anyway - back to our originally scheduled programming . . . :doh:

Jim

My thought was to include a journal or composition notebook in the box with the plaque, you can get them in 5x7" and 9 3/4" x 7 1/2" sizes respectively. That way at each stop the plaque makes, not only can people take and post pictures but they can sign and date the book and add a little story/note/whatever if they wish. The book may or may not make it so a small flat rate shipping box can't be used. However flat rate shipping isn't *always* the cheapest option. Depending on the wood used for the plaque, even with the book it could be light enough to ship cheaper non-flat rate. I am guessing that if it is to be a carved plaque that it would be a very light wood like cedar, or basswood or butternut.
Another suggestion might be that instead of rushing this project we incorporate it into to tour de wood.....
Maybe at one of the stops along the tour the piece of wood for the plaque and book can be obtained. As the gentlemen make their stops people can see the *before* plaque, take photos and jot down a note in the book. Once the trip is over Toni could take the stuff home with him and carve the plaque (if he is interested only of course) sending it and the notebook out when it is finished.

My thought was to include a journal or composition notebook in the box with the plaque, you can get them in 5x7" and 9 3/4" x 7 1/2" sizes respectively. That way at each stop the plaque makes, not only can people take and post pictures but they can sign and date the book and add a little story/note/whatever if they wish. The book may or may not make it so a small flat rate shipping box can't be used. However flat rate shipping isn't *always* the cheapest option. Depending on the wood used for the plaque, even with the book it could be light enough to ship cheaper non-flat rate. I am guessing that if it is to be a carved plaque that it would be a very light wood like cedar, or basswood or butternut.
Another suggestion might be that instead of rushing this project we incorporate it into to tour de wood.....
Maybe at one of the stops along the tour the piece of wood for the plaque and book can be obtained. As the gentlemen make their stops people can see the *before* plaque, take photos and jot down a note in the book. Once the trip is over Toni could take the stuff home with him and carve the plaque (if he is interested only of course) sending it and the notebook out when it is finished.

:thumb::thumb: i knew you wernt just another pretty face:) you got smarts up there as well:) well thought out kalea.