why the poor are poor

Also, as a sidenote, twenty some years ago when I started teaching it was all about "alcohol fetal syndrome". It was going to be the teaching nightmare. Well let me tell you, the effects of meth on newborns and children living in the homes of this drug being produced hasn't even been measured yet. The mental state of our population will decrease and it won't be the result of their poor choices.

A friend of my younger brother has FAS. To be honest, he's thick as a brick and rather belligerent to boot - once, after begging him to please move his glass of juice while playing video games, he knocked it across the room. I didn't even get a chance to clean it before the stain set, either, on account of all the broken glass in my foot.

I used to wonder if some people were just thick, by choice or by genetics. Now, though, I start seeing the symptoms everywhere - the vapid stare, the lack of comprehension, and the complete absence of foresight. Maybe this is a bigger problem than people realize?

I don't want to sound heartless, but in spite of Vaughn's sad story about his friend and many other stories I have heard, I have little empathy for the homeless... there are ennumerable agencies and organizations out there to help, but most choose to live on the streets... whether it's emotional, drugs, alcohol or what ever, there's help available but most refuse it.

Our statewide newspaper did a story on the homeless a while back. They interviewed a guy who stands, daily, on a busy corner with a sign that says "Homeless, need money for food". They asked him what he did at night. The answer: "I go home".

..some very insightful responses have been given here,all very well delivered. this subject is not new, it's just more prevelant these days with the growing population. as soime know, I work for a VA hospital, where homeless vets go thru programs to get re-acclimated for a "normal" life. now I must be careful of what I say, as many could be offended by what I see, or perceive. but I will say this... MANY are after a handout,period. they have no desire to get a job.. to get a home... to start/rejoin a family environment. they want their needs and some desires GIVEN to them, as tho it's an entitlement. I know that's not an across-the-board assessment, but just what working around these people for 27 years has led me to determine. as a vet, some of it disgusts me... but also realize that not ALL vets are honorable in their intentions. much can be attributed to varioius abuses, for sure...but thses are choices many make. I know w/i my family we have abusers who are practically homeless... yet they'd still prefer a drink over trying to change( which is very hard, but not impossible). I do think that the yonger generation are less apt to physical labor, as they've never HAD to do manual labor. I did. many HERE have, and STILL work their tails off. I honestly think that many today think manual work is for the "other" guy... the less- educated... but alot of it is just plain laziness in my opinion. we've become a lazy people in this country, that's my opinion........

The thing I always laugh about is that every guy standing at a freeway exit ramp always has a sign that says "disabled Vet".

Different subject: I'm sure you all know someone who's a ball of energy and always working at something. What makes the difference? Why are some people ambitious and high energy and other people seem to not want to do anything?

Is it genetic (something you're born with) or something someone develops as they grow up?

I ask this question about people who are not into alcohol or drugs or anything else like that. Just normal people going about their lives.

Mike

Last edited:
we've become a lazy people in this country, that's my opinion........

I heard a comment from a speaker a few months ago that Americans were the best entertained people in the world. This is, of course, a generalization which doesn't apply to everyone. I feel that's where much of our society is misguided. We seek to understand people as groups yet promote individuality. To understand each other, we need to get to know each other.

I heard a comment from a speaker a few months ago that Americans were the best entertained people in the world. This is, of course, a generalization which doesn't apply to everyone. I feel that's where much of our society is misguided. We seek to understand people as groups yet promote individuality. To understand each other, we need to get to know each other.

Matt, in just a couple of sentences you said a mouthful! "one of the best entertained people in the world", yep, fits the profile, do it for me, let me watch, don't make me do anything. Hmmmmmmmm.

"we seek to understand people as a group yet promote individuality", man that is deep!!!!!

And what happens on this family wood working site is the last half of your last sentence, "we need to get to know each other", I think this is why this works so well, we do have a knowledge of each other somewhat, we rejoice and grieve with each other.