Roof Collapse at 84 Lumber

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
You all may have heard of this, a collapsing roof at a lumber company:

http://www.nbc29.com/global/Category.asp?C=175568&clipId=4522908&autostart=true

Fortunately no one was injured, since the store was closed. But that's not the real reason for this post. I wanted to share some comments about the event that were posted on another forum. It's pretty punny.

The Headline From the Forum:

84 Lumber roof collapses under weight of snow during Virginia storm. If only there was some material one could use to fortify a structure

A few selected comments:

This headline leaves me board. Perhaps if the submitter hadn't delivered it with such a wooden approach, I wouldn't be pining over it.
-----------------
Knotty. Very knotty. You son of a beech.
-----------------
You two should branch out a bit. Spruce it up, quit going against the grain. Many more will root for you. I look forward to your retort, it should be a treet.
-----------------
It figures this headline wouldn't be poplar
-----------------
You wood say that, woodn't you.
-----------------
Don't bark at him. It's not his fault he's a sap and will never be poplar.
-----------------
All these puns are going to leave somebody in the larch.
-----------------
Spruce up your act Bud.
-----------------
I feel like such a nut lately, I'm going to twig out or maybe snap a little. I've been such a sap lately and I think I really need to stop lumbering around and put some stiff in my spine.
-----------------
The needles destruction is a shame. They really got nailed. They should have saw it coming. Now they're screwed. Hopefully the town's folk will pitch in.
-----------------
Orange you guys trying a bit hard-wood you varnish over the tragedy? Beech you don't care if they Spruce up the place now so all the Privit citizens can shop there again.
-----------------
I never get board of pun threads.
-----------------
Now cedar, you pain in the ash, I betula can't make more tree puns.
-----------------
Yep, you've taken Olive the tree puns.

:D

Well Vaughn, that shows me that I need to come over to pick up those subtleties, I had to re-read it about three times to find out where the fun was, the first time I didn't make any sense to me.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Vaughn,
Speaking of things collapsing, the local news is talking about some land slides in your general area. Knowing that you had a big burn very near you a few months back, is (are) the slide(s) near you?

Vaughn,
Speaking of things collapsing, the local news is talking about some land slides in your general area. Knowing that you had a big burn very near you a few months back, is (are) the slide(s) near you?

They were a few miles from us, but things are in good shape so far here. The neighbors across the street are keeping an eye on the hillside behind them. They've got a 50+ degree slope that goes up about 75 feet directly from their back patio and pool. If it lets go, their house would be toast. (You wouldn't need a ladder to get on the roof.) Their backyard hillside has mature vegetation on it though, and they've never had problems with it.

Yesterday we noticed a convoy of dozers and dump trucks headed up the canyon from us. I'm guessing the state highway over the mountains had some mud and rock slides. That road has been closed more than open since the fires. It took a couple months after the fire to rebuild the guard rails and signage, and since then, it's still closed for a few days any time there's a storm, due to land slides.

In looking at the news coverage, I still can't understand why people would build a house that's 5 or 6 feet below street level, on a hill, at the edge of a forest. It's like building a house at the base of a levee on the Mississippi.