looking for a new digital camera

Frank, I understand what you mean about weight and size... when Ed (stepson) comes home and brings in his "camera bag" he has a full on 40 lbs back pack... he uses two Nikons (D50 & D80) with all the bells and whistles and half dozen or more lens, one of which is a full 12" long x about 4" wide... he almost always has a camera hanging around his neck, even though he doesn't always carry the back pack... he offered to leave his D50 home with me on one of his trips so I could use it for my pen and peppermill photography... I used it a couple of times, but in the end I went back to the much smaller Fuji S5200.... the D50 was just too much camera for what I do.

In a distant galaxy, a long-long time ago, I was a professional news photographer in Chicago. Carrying multiple cameras around my neck with a steamer trunk sized bag over my shoulder was routine. I have no desire to go back to that.
However, when I started, a much longer time before, the first camera I ever used was a Speed Graphic 4x5. I was hired as a sports reporter/photographer at age 13. I carried that camera, a huge (not exaggerated) bag filled with film slides, a flash gun and bulbs. The bulbs were the size of 100 watters and not---repeat NOT---shatter proofed. :eek: The plastic coatings came years later.
Are you beginning to understand why I really enjoy my Sony DSC-H2?

And, yes, Vaughn, I am aware shutter lag times are improving. And a good thing too.