Hey Mike Henderson

Thanks, Alfredo. The years keep rolling by, don't they? We haven't communicated in a while - I hope things are going well for you. I'll send you a private note and fill you in on what's been happening in my life.

Mike

:b-day: 2U

Thats a heck of a nice birthday present. Which model you gonna get Mike
Probably the professional model. I'm going to talk with them about the Industrial model but it's a bit expensive. If I did go with the industrial, I'd only go for the 3HP.

I have a Biesemeyer fence on my existing saw that I'm going to move over so I'll buy the SS without a fence.

I thought I'd then offer my old craftsman contractor's saw with my crosscut sled and pitch it as a dedicated crosscut saw. It still has a lot of use in it (and it's served me well for many years) so I hate to see it junked.

There was an table saw accident at school recently. I guy reached over the saw before it had spun down and cut three fingers - not off, but messed them up pretty bad. I'm careful but I know that I can make mistakes (oh, can I make mistakes!!). I view the SS purchase as an upgrade to a cabinet saw, but also as the purchase of an insurance policy.

Mike

Last edited:
Well, I ordered the SawStop today. Professional model without fence. He said he could have it in by this coming weekend but that's too soon for me. I'd like to finish a project I have in progress before tearing the shop apart to put in a new saw. So maybe the following weekend.

Pictures will follow.

Mike

Last edited:
Well, I ordered the SawStop today. Professional model without fence. He said he could have it in by this coming weekend but that's too soon for me. I'd like to finish a project I have in progress before tearing the shop apart to put in a new saw. So maybe the following weekend.

Pictures will follow.

Mike

How did you get yours without a fence? When I bought mine in August I was told that they are not allowed to sell them without fences, something about restrictions from UL listings or something. I even called sawstop directly and they confirmed this ( they only sell the industrial model without them) Well anyway congrats on the saw, they are very nice, and a joy to use.

Last edited:
How did you get yours without a fence? When I bought mine in August I was told that they are not allowed to sell them without fences, something about restrictions from UL listings or something. I even called sawstop directly and they confirmed this ( they only sell the industrial model without them) Well anyway congrats on the saw, they are very nice, and a joy to use.
The owner of the local Woodcraft (Stanton, CA) filled out the order and the form had a bunch of options - 36" fence, 52" fence, mobile base, dado brake, extra ZCI, etc. He just checked the ones I wanted and put a line through the ones I didn't want. He certainly didn't indicate any problems with getting it without a fence.

I went to the SawStop site and in their FAQ, they indicate you can use any fence you want on the SawStop but you may have to drill holes in the table for the fence.

But if I have to take a fence, I'll just sell it to someone who's upgrading their saw. My shop is very small and all I can fit is a 30" fence, which is what I have now.

Mike

The owner of the local Woodcraft (Stanton, CA) filled out the order and the form had a bunch of options - 36" fence, 52" fence, mobile base, dado brake, extra ZCI, etc. He just checked the ones I wanted and put a line through the ones I didn't want. He certainly didn't indicate any problems with getting it without a fence.

I went to the SawStop site and in their FAQ, they indicate you can use any fence you want on the SawStop but you may have to drill holes in the table for the fence.

But if I have to take a fence, I'll just sell it to someone who's upgrading their saw. My shop is very small and all I can fit is a 30" fence, which is what I have now.

Mike

I asked my local woodcraft about getting it without a fence when I was ordering because I saw one listed like that at another online store and woodcraft said that could do that too and gave me a price, then they emailed me back and said this
"Essentially, the sawstop (and any sold "new") table saw is NOT available
without a fence. According to UL and the CPSC "new" table saws must be sold
with a fence."
I called sawstop to ask them about this because I was really hoping to save the $400 for the fence and they told me only the industrial saw can be sold without a fence. I told them I saw a online store that listed a sawstop PCS without a fence and they asked which store it was and I told them, they then called that store and had them change their website to only list the saws with fences. Maybe the regulations have changed?? either way they are nice saws and I am kinda glad I ended up with the fence after all because it is a really nice fence. My previous fence is one that I made from nice thick steel and was rock solid but the sawstop fence is just so nice to use. let me know how it ends up.

Maybe the form the Woodcraft guy used was a "general" form which covered the industrial and the professional. If the professional can't be sold without a fence, I suppose I'll get a note from Woodcraft telling me that.

If so, I'll sell the fence that it comes with unless I find I can fit a 36" fence in my shop.

I'll let you know if they come back to me with with requirements that I buy a fence.

Mike

Happy Birthday for yesterday Mike. Late to the party again.

:b-day_cake::b-day:

What a great birthday gift. You one person i look forward to seeing make that saw perform. Your review will mean a great deal.:thumb: