3/4 inch vs 1 and 1/8th inch thickness question

allen levine

this bed, my next project, calls for 1 and 1/8th thickness for top and bottom rails as well as side rails, and all the stiles.

I dont have a large supply of 1 and 1/8th mahogany, so does anyone here feel substituting 3/4 or 7/8 th inch thickness for the headboard rails and footboard rails as well as the stiles will have any negative effects on the sturdiness of this bed?
http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_journal/woodworking/1273341.html

I will be keeping the side rails 1 and 1/8th thick since I feel they support the bulk of the load.

I will be making other changes, such as walnut instead of wenge, and no veneering, Ill use a solid piece of that mystery rosewood for all the panels.And I also have no poplar so might be using maple or ash for the mattress supports.

Last edited:
i agree on the thickness changes allen, and also the rails ARE the muscle of the bed.. the head board and foot board keep it together and look pretty.. on your not usingt veneer and making it solid panels make sure you pay attention to the ways the wood moves,, or you can have troubles.. leave room for it to move.. look at the panels like cab doors only laying sideways allen.. and you can make the thicker pieces look heavier by adding additional pieces along side in a stepped or built up look..also use those place to hide previous anchor points when you can.

Im going to use space balls on all the panels.

the piece itself, above what I believe is my skill level is , but Im going to be patient and give it a shot. Its only wood.

Last edited: