I think I'm getting a little better at this bowl thing....

Chuck Ellis

first is another spalted maple.. it's about 11 1/2 diameter x 3 1/2 deep.. I think the walls are a little thicker than some of what you guys do.. maybe a hair over 1/4 inch... finished with sanding sealer and wipe on poly.

The little bowl is a piece of spalted poplar...its about 5 in. diameter x 1 1/2 deep and has a tiny little foot of about 1/8 inch. It's also finished with sanding sealer and wipe on poly.

The last one is cherry from a board I got a couple years ago from a guy who used the boards to make gun stocks for flint lock rifles... this was "scrap" about 9" wide x 2" thick and originally about 4 or 5 feet long... I see a little sanding mark in this one that I'm not happy with... may hang on to it and try to get is sanded better latter on... it's about 8 1/2 x 1 1/2 and finished with Danish oil.

Attachments

• 10-919.JPG
    10-919.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 10-920-4.JPG
    10-920-4.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 10-920-5.JPG
    10-920-5.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 10-929-4.JPG
    10-929-4.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 32
Yep, I'd say you're getting the hang of things quite nicely. :thumb: I really like the spalted maple, but all three look good. And I can relate to the bit about finding sanding or tooling marks when you take the photos. It's happened a few times to me, too. I just suck it up and take it back to the shop a re-do it best I can.

Nice work, some good shapes there as well. Bowls don't have to be thin and personally if they are for use, thin can be a problem. A nice solid bowl is better for fruit etc IMHO so apart from having a go I wouldn't strive to make them thin.

Pete

Chuck, those are very nice bowls. I hate it when I get one finished and then notice a tool mark or sanding mark. My wife thinks I am too picky but I want every bowl to be really nice. Your bowls are great.

Chuck, those are very nice bowls. I hate it when I get one finished and then notice a tool mark or sanding mark. My wife thinks I am too picky but I want every bowl to be really nice. Your bowls are great.

My wife is just the opposite... she picks up every one of them... :eek:
I should get her out to the shop to look at the pieces before I take them off the lathe, might not have the problem...
or I could wear my glasses when I work:rofl:

nice bowls Chuck.:thumb: I do like that spalted maple the best but i've a feeling you do to.
Steve

Thanks guys for all the positive comments... makes us feel good when our colleagues give us encouragement - right?

I have a nice pile of the spalted, if the weather lets up a little so I can get to the wood pile... can't chainsaw in the rain and my toes get cold in the snow... I have to get the rest of it cut up into blanks...