go698 update pic

Well i no i'm a little early as just ordered it so no pics.:rofl: I sure do hope it's worth it. will find out when it arives.:D Now i just got to get some 220 wire over to the lathe room. Yes i do have 220 in the shop just have to run a line over to that room. Will post pics when it arives.
Steve

Last edited:
i can see that when the lady speaks you listen:) a larger platter is definatly gonna be in the works soon huh:) :thumb::thumb:
Yea if we no what's good for us we do .:D Ofcorse after 33 years we lurn to have selective hearing when we want.:rofl: Didn't want to this time.

Thanks everyone i will keep ya informed, and will get pics. when it gets here. Now to go clean out the room and make room for it. :D Also need to get that wire run.

Congratulations Stephen. Looking forward to the new arrival.

Love to hear your review of it when it arrives.:thumb:

Do you have any idea how they do the low to high switch over for the speeds with variable speed?

Congratulations Stephen. Looking forward to the new arrival.

Love to hear your review of it when it arrives.:thumb:

Do you have any idea how they do the low to high switch over for the speeds with variable speed?

There is a belt change required. Takes about two minutes.
There are reported problems with the EVS lathes not being smooth at low speeds. What is happening, I believe, is some are trying to run slow-slow in the high range. Doesn't work. The claimed range of 0 to 3,000 rpm is misleading. It will set at zero rpm. But, the lowest operating speed (on my G0632) in high range is about 300 to 350 rpm. For low range it is about 200 rpm. You cannot run it at 10 rpm.
There may be makes on the market that do that, I dunno :dunno: , but not mine. In fact, I'm of the opinion you really need a machine lathe to go that slow.

There is a belt change required. Takes about two minutes.
There are reported problems with the EVS lathes not being smooth at low speeds. What is happening, I believe, is some are trying to run slow-slow in the high range. Doesn't work. The claimed range of 0 to 3,000 rpm is misleading. It will set at zero rpm. But, the lowest operating speed (on my G0632) in high range is about 300 to 350 rpm. For low range it is about 200 rpm. You cannot run it at 10 rpm.
There may be makes on the market that do that, I dunno :dunno: , but not mine. In fact, I'm of the opinion you really need a machine lathe to go that slow.

Frank I just read on the AAW forum that the spec's for the G0698 are wrong. Here is a quote from the gentleman that just got his. He and another gentleman are having trouble at the low end of low speed range and the low end of the high speed range.

He says, "I heard back from Grizzly tech support on the "pulsing at very low rpm" issue that I and another owner have reported to them. The engineers have said that they got the specs wrong, even in the catalog and online.

They say that the Low rpm specs should be 100 rpm, on the low belt setting, and the high belt setting low rpm spec should be 330 rpm."

He goes on to say, "the lathe "pulses" at very low rpm, and instead of doing what Grizzly has done, and that is go back to the website and change the specs on their page about this lathe, they simply changed the specs to reflect what the tech guys told myself and another owner."

Grizzly also told a friend of mine that was interested in this lathe it may be as late as July before they get enough to supply the demand. So I think he is going with the Jet 1642 instead. At least he said it has a 5 yr warranty.

IMHO they should at least correct their literature so people know what the facts are.

Jet and PM will go to 0 and don't have a problem with pulsing. The Laguna 1847 which the G0698 lathe is a clone of doesn't pulse at 0-100 rpm according to a couple of friends that bought the 1847.

Last edited:
That's bummer news, Steve. :( Any ideas yet about what you're gonna do?

...Jet and PM will go to 0 and don't have a problem with pulsing. The Laguna 1847 which the G0698 lathe is a clone of doesn't pulse at 0-100 rpm according to a couple of friends that bought the 1847.

The slowest I've gotten my 3520 down to is 48 rpm. (Powermatic says 50 rpm is the slowest it'll go.) No pulsing that I've seen. Believe it or not Frank, I use the 50 to 100 rpm range quite often when I'm sanding. :) The 100 rpm to 200 rpm range is also used more than I thought, primarily for the first few roughing passes on very large (24"-ish) off-balance blanks. If a person's doing mostly spindle turning or small pieces, then speeds that slow don't seem real useful.

BTW, none of the reports I've seen of pulsing problems with the new Griz involved guys trying to run slowly in the high pulley range.