New Lathe questions

Chuck Thoits

Ok so after spending the afternoon fixing the mini I have decided that just as soon as I can I need to get one to replace it with before I can't fix it any more.:thumb:
So which one of these to get and why?
Jet JML-1014 Mini Lathe
Jet JML-1014I indexing
Jet JML-1014VS Mini Lathe
Jet JML-1014VSI indexing
Jet JWL-1220 Mini Lathe
Jet JWL-1220VS 708376VS Mini Lathe
I will be turning pens and mugs on this lathe And will expect it to work 8 to 10 hours a day when there is turning to be done.
Or is there another kind you would recommend over the Jet and why.
I'm thinking the 1220vs because of it's 3/4 hp motor but I heard some thing about it's vs not being all that great. But it sure would be nice to just turn up the speed instead of changing the belt.
So what do the masses say?

Last edited:
VS, as large as you can afford. ;) That would be my choice. The Jet 1220 would be on my list, but I'd also look at the new Delta 12" VS and whatever Rikon has in that category. The 3/4 hp motor would be an asset, in my book.

VS, as large as you can afford. ;) That would be my choice. The Jet 1220 would be on my list, but I'd also look at the new Delta 12" VS and whatever Rikon has in that category. The 3/4 hp motor would be an asset, in my book.

I have a stead fast rule with Delta.:thumb:
The Rikon has a 6.6 amp motor and I can't find the amp ratting for the Jet. Any one want to look at the plate on the motor?
I have read that the vs robs power/torque. Any one have input on that?

Most of the small single phase VS are dc variable speed. Thus...they lose torque at low rpms. I had a Jet VS Mini 10-14....it did lose torque at low speeds but was certainly useable.

Most of the bigger lathes use 3-phase AC variable speed. The torque is pretty well constant through their operating range of rpm.

I will say one thing........I haven't seen the Delta 46-460.....Bernie Weishapl has the Jet........1220....has turned on the Delta 46-460 and said if they'd made them when he bought his Jet...he would have bought the Delta instead. I'm not a big Delta fan but if it's good enough for Bernie..it's good enough for me.

Oh man this is starting to sound like the ratings on the palm routers. :eek::doh: I don't have a VS, but my JET minis are workhorses. The kids at school turn on them every day, this semester two hours a day. Up to four hours a day in the past each school day. Sorry I can't be of more help.

chuck, hop in your truck and drive down. You can play with my 1220 VS as much as you want and give it a test run for yourself.(Ive hardly used it) I have enough chunks of wood to practice on. (while your here you can help me fine tune the bandsaw for alot of resawing I need to do)

Last edited:
Hi Chuck. I don't know if you have a Woodcraft close, but they should have a Rikon to test. As Don said, I have a Rikon, and wouldn't trade it for any of the jets you list. Mine is not vs, so if you want vs, I believe that Rikon would still be my first choice. Out of the several hundred we sold, I can only remember two or three small problems, which were taken care of with speed and courtesy.

Bruce

I would suggest to look on craigslist, recycler etc... and look around for a bit unless you really want a new one. I have seen many good lathes for sale on the cheap side. I saw powermatic and General just to name a few for and almost bought the (old) general but someone got to i before me. Im not sure what i would have done with it but it was going very cheap...I have a larger Jet........ahh well
You may end up with with a nice larger powerful machine.....that is if you want one v. a new smaller one..............just a thought

The penturning forums are as much houses of worship for the Jet Minis and Midis as they are places for discussion for making pens.
Get the VS, you can't go wrong.
And, from habit, I'll add, Grizzly has several new models in the mini/midi size range that look like real workhorses. I have seen the lathes in person but not in use. My (good) experience with things Grizzly would lend me to seriously consider one of those if I were in the market for a mini/midi.