Monster Hollowing Laser Improved

Dan Mosley

Got called off work today and decided to spend some time hollowing. I was turning and messed up the vessel i was working on and didnt have alot of play time left......so I decided to replace the battery box on the hollowing rig with a transformer that I picked up from Radio Shack last week sometime. I spoke with Randy at Monster Tools a week back and talked about transformer idea so I decided to put it to the test today.

So here is what I did - I gutted out the battery box, then drilled a hole thru the base to hide the wires - slipped the pig tail thru one end and the red and black from the laser thru the other end - solder the wires - then put wire shrink wrap on and heated to seal - put the wires back in the box and slipped the cover back over it - wrapped both ends with electrical tape and was done. You don't have to wrap the ends with the tape the cover will hold everything together fine. I guess I thought it would be a bit more dust proof......:rolleyes:

Plugged it in and hollowed for a short time and its working great - no more batteries, blinking, etc- stays solid............Total Cost - Transformer and Pig tail was less than $17.00.

Attachments

• Laser-1.jpg
    Laser-1.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 59
  • Laser-2.jpg
    Laser-2.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 55
  • Laser-3.jpg
    Laser-3.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Sweet. :thumb: That should work great. I've been considering doing the same thing, and your pigtail idea makes it that much easier to mount and dismount the hollowing rig from the lathe. You can leave the transformer plugged in to 110v, and just plug it in to the laser when hollowing.

Thinking of power at the lathe reminds me of a couple pics I've been meaning to post. I'll go start a new thread for them. ;)

I was tempted to use two way tape or velcro to mount the transformer to the lathe and just leave it there but decided not to right now. The constant beam with no fading from batteries going out etc is nice.