Boredom busting busy work....

John Pollman

Hi folks!

Things are TOUGH here in the Great Lakes State. Work has been pretty much non-existent lately and I was sick of sitting around worrying about where my next work was coming from so I decided to use up some scrap I had laying around and do something constructive.

A few years ago I bought a vinyl cutter to do some sign work on the side. I've used it quite a bit and it's a really nice thing to have. It's even come in handy because I've been doing custom decals for the members of another site that I'm a member of. One problem I had though was a work station. I have had the cutter set up on top of a sink base cabinet that I bought cheap at the BORG. It worked OK but was too tall. I used to keep my printer on the shelf inside but it wasn't very efficient because I had nowhere to store my vinyl stock. For years I've had rolls standing on end in the closet. They get in the way all the time and they're a pain. Well I did some brainstorming and solved both problems with one quick and easy project. I made a new stand for the cutter which is a better height and it also allows me to store twelve rolls of vinyl directly beneath the cutter. This way it takes up less space and keeps the vinyl from getting damaged. The good part is that I had almost everything I needed already sitting around. I was going to use 1/2" hardwood dowels for the rods but I had a scrap piece of 1/2" thin wall conduit that worked great. I just had to pick up a couple more ten footers and cut them to length and I was good to go. The conduit was much cheaper than the dowels too. Less than four bucks for enough to do the job and twelve dowels would have cost about a buck and a half a piece.

Anyway, I got it all set up and ready to go and can't wait to start using it. I think things will be much easier now. I only wish I'd done this a long time ago. Here are a couple pics....

4362047935_9583a2b0b6_o.jpg

4362048037_8e96c1916d_o.jpg

At least it gave me something to do for a few hours to get my mind off of this LOUSY economy!

John

Cool Idea John. Since you regular business is slow why not put the vinyl cutter to work cutting letters for A frame signs. Put an add on Craigs list for "A" frames for business. a sheet of 1/2" MDO can make 3 - 24x32 A frame signs. Paint it white. You can get the the hindge handles online for less then $10 each. They sell for $180-$200 per sign not a bad ROI and all businesses need to advertise. Car dealers, real estate companies, stores, resturants, they all need signs. Also businesses need window vinyl for advertising also. If I can give you any information send me a PM. I know you mentined that you bought it to do sign work on the side, so maybe a refocus on that aspect might help.

Last edited:
Yeah that could work. Actually I bought the cutter not long after I bought a new truck and cargo trailer. I wanted to get some signage for both. I was shocked when I saw what the sign shop wanted to do a simple one color sign for the trailer and truck. I was able to do some nice THREE color matching signs for the truck and trailer for very little money. I've done a lot of custom decal work for that other site and even boat graphics. Just those two other areas have paid for the machine! If the home improvement business doesn't pick up soon, I'll have to check into some other alternatives.

Thanks for the input!

John

Oh John, another idea is banners, you can buy the banner material already grommeted or get a grommeter. put he vinyl graphics on it and theyt are also very profitable. Businesses always need signs. When tey are going to open they need em to say comming soon. When they are open they need em to say now open. while they are in business they need to constantkly advertise. When they are ready to close their doors, they need goiing out of business signs..

Yep, banners are easy to do. I've got a source for pre-made banners in standard sizes. I can also order custom sizes for a reasonable cost. I've made a couple and they look great when done and are very easy to do with vinyl.

In Michigan I should be able to do a landslide business in "Going out of business" banners. Around here it's getting really close to the old "Last one leaving Michigan please turn out the lights". :(

John

Well John,
were I in your shoes, I'd make up a bunch of core plast signs telling folks that you make signs etc with your phone number on it. Put em out on the busy street and at maybe, just maybe they call you. Remember, a business with no sign, is a sign of no business.