Portable sawmill advice?

Rick Prosser

I have pretty much decided to purchase a portable sawmill. I have seen where a number of suppliers are now offering a DIY-Hobby-small landowner portable bandsaw mill in the $3-4K price range.

A small bandsaw mill should suit my needs to process the trees that I am harvesting from my property (due to roads and site clearing) and not bust the budget. Much more convenient and also will have all the options to process logs that might not be profitable to another sawyer.

Anyone have experience with these smaller mills and could offer any advice?

Looking at the Woodmizer LT-10 in particular.

Rick, All I know is those machines are a disease similar to the vortex. I've looked at quite a few and have tried to buy several different kinds to no avail. There are always lots of opinions . Most owners I've talked too like their machines. Last one I looked at was a Baker. The owner did modify it some to lower it closer to the ground and stiffen it up some. You can get lots of opinions over on the www.forestryforum.com Different types have their strengths and weaknesses. I want to someday get a Petersen swingmill. I've also got dozens of logs to saw and am getting tired of hauling them to the mill. Woodmiser is a solid company.

Don't forget the big option to have it fixed or on wheels.The later will give you an easier time moving and setting up.Have worked with an old small Woodmizer that was stationary, this proved a pain to move to different locations - so looking back I would reconmend any make/ model that had wheels mounted

hth hs

My experience on what you ask is nil, but what about a chainsaw mill? Stu made his own one and it worked pretty well for him, if you pretend to tunr into boards only the trees that you're cutting to make room for the house could be a cheaper option. :dunno:

I own and use a E Z boardwalk mill -- made in N.E. Missouri by an Amish gentlemen. (www.sawmillmag.com/reviews/8/EZ+Boardwalk)

It is on rails that have wheels that are removed from the axle quickly! not recommended to be used with wheels on..

It is a little above you price range but for the money I spent I have a much better mill than the woodmizer mill -- in the same price as the mizer mill.

It is one of my favorite tools -- some tools I use --some I like to use --some I really like to use!! My mill is even better than the "really like to use"

Fun!!!

Frank can- not read this..... smile

Last edited:
There is a mill up the highway, about 15 miles from me that doesn't look like it is used anymore. Grass and weeds growing up through it. Sometimes I'm tempted to stop and ask about it. :rolleyes:

Here's just another way to look at it. I've been wanting a mill for a few years. Almost had myself talked into getting one a couple of times.

I had right at 1500 feet cut in December. Counting the sawyer, fuel, a bar for my saw (tree made it have a nice bend:D)and a few other things. I've got about 400 in it. That's around .26 cents per foot. I think that's a decent deal.

I was looking at trying to get a mill in the 7 - 10 thousand dollar range. I started figuring how much would I have to cut to pay for the saw based on what it cost this last time. Looking at what I payed for the wood I had cut, I would have to cut around 30,000 bd/ft to pay for a 7000 dollar saw. That's just the purchase price not the maintenance and supplies. I figured it was cheaper for me to pay someone else to cut for me. Let them cover all the overhead for the saw and such.

Some advantages

Now, if I was selling rough cut lumber it would pay for itself a lot faster.
If I only had a few logs to cut I could cut them when I wanted.
You could possible cut for other people and make a little cast on the side.
Having a mill would be way cool:thumb:.

I'd still love to have a mill but I just can't justify the price and I wouldn't want to turn it into a job.

I've thought about having some cut and trying to sell a little to cover the cutting cost.

I own and use a E Z boardwalk mill -- made in N.W. Missouri by an Amish gentlemen. (www.sawmillmag.com/reviews/8/EZ+Boardwalk)

It is on rails that have wheels that are removed from the axle quickly! not recommended to be used with wheels on..

It is a little above you price range but for the money I spent I have a much better mill than the woodmizer mill -- in the same price as the mizer mill.

It is one of my favorite tools -- some tools I use --some I like to use --some I really like to use!! My mill is even better than the "really like to use"

Fun!!!

Paul
Thats a really nice looking mill.
Garry

and the winner is...

EZ boardwalk. :thumb:

After talking with Edward, it is apparent that this machine is much sturdier, * and * it looks like he will be able to deliver it close enough for me to pick up without paying for shipping (just cover his gas).

Now I just need to get the results of my tax forms to make sure I am not going to get killed with taxes :eek: - so I can place the order.

Thanks for the heads up Paul (and John)

Rick,

Un-solicited advise:

1. There is a learning curve -- don't learn on your BEST logs.
2. Keep the blades Sharp!!! ( I sharpen my own but services are available)
3. Consistent thickens of each board is not easy to achieve on most bandsaw mills.
4. learn to stick the boards the correct way! --- http://ohioline.osu.edu/for-fact/0008.html
5. Make it fun not work!! I really enjoy my mill.. it could be hard work but I stop before it become a pain in the(CoC).

if you do custom cutting for neighbors ask them to help! especially if it is only a few logs .... if they help they can accept some responsibly for the logs being cut --- thickness of the finished boards, direction of cut (quarter sawn) loading and many other things customers can/will fuss about!

Please keep us posted... Paul

John,

I am cheap and do not do this on the professional level..

I use the system Ez-boardwalks sells (modified chainsaw sharpener) which I also use it for sharpening chains..... about 3-5 minutes to change from one system to the next.

EZ Boardwalk Blade Sharpening System from their webpage you linked to.

and

Timberwolf blades... when I call they know me and what I need. I have been very happy with the results.

to solve my board thickness situation... I cut my own trees from my own farm (about 100 acres of mainly Oak, hickory, black walnut, sycamore, and others) and I oversize the thickness of each board.. I also mainly air dry in an old barn... some now are 4years in the drying and are being used for projects. I play around with homemade kiln dried boards which are mostly short lengths.

I really like doing this... but my wife is my only helper and she does not being such... I need to find a friend... smile

Last edited:
Rick,

I should have added a caution for metal in the logs.... if the log is a yard or fence line tree -- watch out...

I am trying to find a use of missing teeth blades from nails, wire,and other things.

I can only have so many marking knifes... :rofl: