Should or shouldn't I...?

Should I get a dog against LOML decision?

• By no means, you'll risk your marriage.

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Yes, she'll love it after a couple of days

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Try to convince her if you can

Votes: 14 43.8%
  • Forget about the dog, after all it will take woodworking time from you

Votes: 8 25.0%

• Total voters
Well guys this may be long but I'll try to make it short.

Lately there have been quite a lot of robberys and breaking into houses around here.
We have got an alarm system but LOML feels insecure and she mentioned that maybe we should get a dog mainly to make her feel better and give her some company while I'm away on bussines trips that I have to make quite often.

So, I put hands to work, gathered information, about breeds and breeders, how to housebreak puppies, how to educate dogs, and so forth.
Needles to say that with all that reading I got excited about having a dog, but LOML didn't want to take the decision, and just got me a full month expecting one from her, she didn't read anything, she didn't look for info apart from asking her workmates that own dogs. I wanted her to decide because it was her initiative, not mine and I didn't want to be held responsible afterwards.

I looked for dogs to adopt I found two of pure breed, a black giant schnauzer and a black standard one.

The more she delayed her decision the more eager I was to get a dog, so eventually I forced her to pronounce herself just to know if I had to do anything or not. So she said NO and she was angry because I was so obsessed with the dog or so she said.:huh:

So now, I'm dissapointed and p... off, and I'm thinking about just getting the darn dog and put up with whatever comes, after all one way or another it will be me the one who will have to care, train and walk it.

So what do you think?
Thanks

Last edited:
Who will care for, train and walk it when you are away on business trips and Tour DeWood 2010? I think you need your wife's willing participation.

Hey Toni,

Don't do it. :) As good as it might feel in the midst of such angst, a long term reminder of how you didn't really care about her preference is not something you need. DAMHIKT :D Now borrowing someone's dog for an evening might be a different story...unless she ends up liking the dog. :eek:

I'll echo John's comment. Let it be known that you'd really like a dog but don't get one against your wife's wishes. It wouldn't be fair to any of the three of you. If your wife resents the dog, the dog will be able to tell.

Also, it sounds like you were looking for a puppy. Especially if you're not real experienced with raising dogs, I'd suggest adopting an adult dog instead of a puppy. Less work, less stress, and more fun for all involved. Puppies are great, but raising one is a lot of work.

On a totally unrelated note...

Based on the avatar pictures in this thread, it looks like Toni, Matt, and Don's granddaughter all get their hair done at the same shop. :p

i agree to not go against any woman on anything and expect it to blow over it wont toni,, and like vaughn said the dog wil know who does and who doesnt..thats how they know bad guys and good guys.. and also in the future go for a adult dog or borrow one.. puppies wear thing on old folks like you and your better half..

I can't imagine not having a dog.
My wife was raised in a house with no animals and said NO to every request I made for a dog. I brought one home and she instantly fell in love. We have had a dog since then. Over 35 years.
For 20 plus years I traveled extensively. Having the dog around gave her security.
My best buddy Razz, a German Shepard, who is now just about 15 is failing fast and I will miss him terribly but the loml has already said she wanted another.

Just go out and get a big floppy golden retriever:thumb: And the rest will soon be forgotten:thumb:
I mean really how could she say no to these two?

Attachments

• tn_help 001.JPG
    tn_help 001.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 23
Here you go Toni. I'm looking for a home for the puppy. Her name is Ginger and she is house broke and will be fixed this thursday.
2-09-2010 001.JPG2-09-2010 004.JPG
The other dog is Luke and is also a rescue dog. He's up to 74 pounds now.:eek:
Here is a pic of the mother. Here name is spot along with Jake which is from another litter from spot. All rescues.
2-09-2010 006.JPG

Last edited:
Toni

We had this debate back in SA and now in Canada. I had dogs when i was younger but when i started travelling a great deal the question of dog becomes a problem. Someone else has to look after it when you gone. If Loyl aint on board with it, there will be dog issues as far as who is the boss. I agree with if you do get a adult dog. Puppies are cute but wear thin quickly when you got to get up in the morning and catch that early flight. Substitute baby for puppy. :D

I would say unless your wife is prepared to be more than a 50% partner in this given how much you travel, i would pass. Its going to be a source of continous pain to you.

Sorry thats how i see it. :(

I agree with the sentiments of letting your wife know that since she brought it up you thought a lot about it, and the more you looked into it the more you would really *like* to have a dog. One that is a suitable companion *and* will deter any potential prowlers. Leave it at that though and let things cool down. Maybe she said no because she was feeling pressured. Something that may have been a passing thought to her, you turned in to a set in stone done deal.

Also, if you *do* get a dog I can see both sides in regards to puppy vs rescue. Contrary to what people are saying, rescues can be just as much if not more work than a puppy. You have to remember in both cases you are teaching this new family member the rules of *your* home. Many times it is a lot easier to do that from the beginning than it is to try to make an animal un-learn things they already know..... how difficult it will be it is of course very dependent (in both cases) on the individual dog.

What about a trained security dog?:thumb::thumb: It could still be a member of the family (I mean pet). If it satisfied her worries about security without the puppy stage and related training she might really enjoy it.