Should or shouldn't I...?

Should I get a dog against LOML decision?

• By no means, you'll risk your marriage.

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Yes, she'll love it after a couple of days

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Try to convince her if you can

Votes: 14 43.8%
  • Forget about the dog, after all it will take woodworking time from you

Votes: 8 25.0%

• Total voters
The one thing that has not been said is the Puppy stage is a year or less. Most can be house broke in just a few weeks. So it's not like having a teenage daughter that lasts for oh say 6 to 8 years:doh::rofl::rofl:

Here you go Toni, Show her this and say, "I got the dog, Dear!" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
View attachment 42421
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:Cool one Dan That made me laugh out loud :rofl::rofl::rofl:

So Toni and Don, how much do you pay our barber? I think he's a little peeved at me...haven't paid him in ages.
Mine ceased to see me and my money about 10 years ago, LOML takes care of it with the lawn mower:rofl::rofl::rofl:

What about a trained security dog?:thumb::thumb: It could still be a member of the family (I mean pet). If it satisfied her worries about security without the puppy stage and related training she might really enjoy it.

That was the whole idea I had behind it, get a breed dog that is protective, and have it trained, some don't even need that. Like the giant schnauzer and dobermans, (if they are trained much better of course)

Kalea Thoits said:
I agree with the sentiments of letting your wife know that since she brought it up you thought a lot about it, and the more you looked into it the more you would really *like* to have a dog. One that is a suitable companion *and* will deter any potential prowlers. Leave it at that though and let things cool down. Maybe she said no because she was feeling pressured. Something that may have been a passing thought to her, you turned in to a set in stone done deal.

That is what I'm doing at the moment Kalea, thanks for reassuring me, I appreciate a lot your women's point of view, maybe when I'm back from the tour I'll find a dog waiting for me at home who knows?;)

As per getting a puppy or and adult dog, I'd rather get a rescue one, first because I feel pity for them and second because pure breed puppies are expensive (700 to 900€), and as it has been stated housebreaking a puppy might be a pain.

On the other hand although I agree that an adult dog may be even more difficult to educate, I feel that they will have some sort of gratitude, but from what I've read it is a matter of being consistent and giving them the feeling of being part of the pack and me being the leader.:dunno:

Thanks to all of you for your comments and suggestions, Dan I'll put that picture in a frame or maybe I'll make it my avatar:rofl::rofl:

Getting a dog, either as a pet or to eat intruders, there are severasl concerns to address, First, it is a 24/7 job with a pet. having kids is easier in that you can take kids where ever you go, not pets. What to do with a dog if you go out of town? second is the matter that comes out of either end. The most notible is the refuge that is deposited on the lawn, just as you spend some time in the "Library" on a daily basis, the pet also has to make room for more food... this requires walking and waiting and picking up. (unless you live on acherage and can let it run free.) and the other end, larger dogs slobber, drool, sling snot and such...

I love dogs but feel that in my present stage of life, they are more trouble than they are worth.

You want a 'Junk Yard Dog" to deter intruders. But are you willing to take the resonsibility of a parent, to keep it? Anything else will be an alarm system to bark and yelp when strangers are abound.

Better and cheaper option is a security system, videos and alarms, when you are away and S&W when you are home.

Rescue animals generally become the most devoted and protective of animals. They truly are grateful to get out of there. A pound vet told me about an abandoned cat (many years ago) that if he decided to trust me, he would Velcro himself to me. He did. When he died at 17 I was devastated. My present cat was a rescue by a friend who died of cancer last summer. The cat has just recently "moved in" figuratively speaking. It takes about 6 months. I just let them find their own way by being consistent and kind. I have had the same situation with pound dogs as well.

One day the opportunity to window shop at the animal rescue will present itself. There is a heart there waiting to capture you and your wife. Very big hearts and fierce determination can live in small packages. At least small enough that you won't have to fight for the driver's seat! :rofl::rofl:

The only reason to get a dog is if you want one.
I like dogs but do not want one. Having a dog dominates your life. When they have to 'go' they have to 'go'. It doesn't matter what you are doing, you must attend to the dogs needs. We do a lot of weekend trips, mostly to visit our children, taking a dog would be out of the question. Leaving in the house, less desirable. Where we live we enjoy watching the wildlife, everything from squirrels to deer, turkeys, fox, buzzards, etc. With a dog around all that would come to an end.
A previous house we lived in was back in the woods at the end of a long driveway. We had many-many people drive back there, I think just to take a look. But those 'looks' seemed more like they were casing the joint. Finally, I put up signs along the drive, and on the house "BEWARE OF DOGS". The unwelcome 'visiting' stopped. I had no dogs.

Here you go Toni. I'm looking for a home for the puppy. Her name is Ginger and she is house broke and will be fixed this thursday.
View attachment 42417View attachment 42418
The other dog is Luke and is also a rescue dog. He's up to 74 pounds now.:eek:
Here is a pic of the mother. Here name is spot along with Jake which is from another litter from spot. All rescues.
View attachment 42419

Alan, Luke looks like he could a cousin of Dakota, our BBD*.

Sleepy Boy 1 - 800.jpg

* Big Black Dog

I would not bring any animal into my home that wasnt appreciated or wanted by my wife.
Its unfair to the animal, and its unfair to someone who is undecided about an animal to present them with the pressure of having to deal with one.
Animals need care and attention.
If someone is waffling over whether or not they are ready, IN MY OPINION, its best to give them more time to sort it out then to just unexpectantly bring home a dog and say isnt this what you really want?
Once they really think they want the responsibility of dog ownership, then breeds and size/age can be discussed.
Good luck Toni, Im sure this is causing you some stress.