My first bench

I don't know if this should go on the off-topic forum. if so please move it.

This was my first bench, it is about 70 years old or so I think, and I thought about posting it because being a humble three step stool with no finish at all it is well made, I like specially the way the steps are attached to the legs and the detail of the handle.

You can see some saw marks on the top due to my sawing efforts when I was a 12 year old kid. On the second step there was a knot that fell off and got lost many years ago, it is made of pine wood and not of the best grade. I think that my grand dad bought it, years before I was born.

I'm thinking about reverse engineer it and post the plans here.

Attachments

• bench009.jpg
    bench009.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 80
  • bench010.jpg
    bench010.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 65
  • bench011.jpg
    bench011.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 72
  • bench012.jpg
    bench012.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 66
  • bench013.jpg
    bench013.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Toni, that is a wonderful little bench, with a rich history :thumb:

I think it certainly belongs right here, this is NOT off topic in any way! :D

I'm sure that a new version, made from some nice wood will be wonderful, but it will never have the same value as the original! :)

Toni, that is one neat little stool/bench/step/etc!!! And the history, it is priceless. I have been doing a little debate with myself on what to build for sitting purposes in my shop. I ran across just the other day a set of plans in a wood magazine (don't remember which magazine) for almost the same type of item! In fact, I ripped the plans and article out intending to take it to the shop and build it eventually. I will see if I can find it online, or get the computer teacher to scan it for me if it is legal for me to do this and post it.
What kind of dog in your avatar? Bull Mastiff? How old??

T
What kind of dog in your avatar? Bull Mastiff? How old??

Sorry Jonathan, but that's a fake picture that Dan Mooney made for joking in another thread of mine called "Should or shouldn't I" where I'm asking about getting a dog.

I found it so funny that I decided to make it my avatar for a while.:D

Mohamad is right.

Great bench !

What a wonderful little piece of your history Toni. Simply elegant yet elegantly simple. No wonder it has held up for all these years with many more to go. Those through tenons looke a little tough to cut though-for me any way.

Thanks for posting this little treasure.:thumb:

W Those through tenons looke a little tough to cut though-for me any way.
Thanks for posting this little treasure.:thumb:

Thanks for your comment Don, what made me post it was exactly those through tenons, they are angled with the same angle that the leg has.

I find that really clever, first you get a bigger tenon from the same wood thickness, second as they remain parallel to the leg, it is not weakened because they leave the same amount of wood all around.:)