Old radio cabinet redo - in process- Pic Heavy!

well john it looks good so far but the walnut veneer on the other one is better figured,, you should have saved some of the BE that you had a while back:) that some major bending.. and to see the inlay is gonna be intersting to watch

Good job :thumb: so far, although you should be careful so that it doesn't end looking like a reproduction, because if it does, you could have spared yourself a lot of work by making a new one.:dunno:

Great work John.:thumb: I for one would like to see he radio guts that went into the cabinet.:) I used to get a real kick out of valve radios when i was a teenager. At one time i had three had them hooked up with a homemade kit to form a radio station. Got the maid to walk the streets with a transistor radio to her ear to establish the range of my transmitter. Great fun these old sets. Loved to sit and see what i could pick up over the air.:D

Nice job!

Does your wife know you're using her embroidery hoop for a turntable? :rofl:

I'm with Carol. Put the guts back in it - maybe even do a YouTube video of it, with sound so we know it plays... :D

BTW, I'm guessing the radio itself is the good old "All-American 5 tuber?"

The cabinet looks great, John. :thumb: Like the others, I'm looking forward to seeing it with all the electronics and controls.

I'll bet it looks great once you get the backlit LCD screen and touchpad keyboard back in it. :rofl:

Nice job on the Resto!

What I really like though is the styling of the the piece. Just the way they designed the curves and the inlay and the speaker grill... A fine looking cabinet, thats for sure...

well done john,, at first i didnt see how the bushing and bit were gonna work but i do now it rides on top of the top level and your bit does the cutting.. how do you keep the router parrell to the top surface ? to me you can tip towards the guide fence or opposite real easy??

Ok......

Then I set up the trim router with a 1/4" straight cutting bit and a short bushing so that the bit would cut the same depth all along the inlay channel and wouldn't be following the warping on the cabinet:

DSCF0074.jpg

cheers

John Bartley

Hi John

The cabinet looks magnificent and i cant wait to see it with the all the bits installed.

I can understand the words of what you said re the router but cannot fathom the picture. The bushing if thats what it is seems proud of the router base to me.:dunno:
So that would imply a topsy turvy rout as you run it along the edge. Could you clarrify or is this just an optical error with the photo angle or something.

Thanks for sharing the whole process. I am learning quiet a lot following along.