If any one needs sanding stuff

Chuck Thoits

Give this guy a try. http://www.nicks.ca/sanding.html
I have not yet used him but let me tell you a story.
I emailed him the other day asking for some sanding mops. This is what I got for a reply.
Chuck
Sanding mops are meant to sand surface profiles not a flat surface in a hole. You need to use a sanding drum I think. The drum would also have to be smaller than the hole, probably no bigger than 2" or 2 1/2" in your case and 7" long so you can walk it around inside the hole. The other alternative would be something like a cylinder hone with 3 pads. Actually that would likely work the best. Make a cylinder from wood with a shaft in it that would fit your drill. I would use soft wood to keep the weight down for balance purpose, something like bass wood. Either cut slots lengthwise on four opposite sides or flats on four opposite sides and attach pieces of emery cloth using screws to secure them creating a flap wheel. In other words in order to sand a cylinder the paper/cloth must run parallel to the surface not at right angles as is the case with a sanding mop. Seems to me I have even seen some of the cheaper cylinder hones use emery cloth this way. Check with local auto stores or tool dealers
Hope this helps.
Nick
Any guy that turns down a sale for a happier customary is :thumb::thumb: in my book.
So on his advice I went to tool making.
I took an old hone and knocked the stones off. Then I attached strips of maple with epoxy and rivets. Put some self stick Velcro on and no have a mug hone.
Second pic before honing
Third pick after honing for about all of 30 seconds.:thumb:
Now all I have to do is get some hook & loop sandpaper. I used some stuff I had laying around to give it a test.

Attachments

• tn_mug7 003.JPG
    tn_mug7 003.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 102
  • tn_mug7 004.JPG
    tn_mug7 004.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 97
  • tn_mug7 006.JPG
    tn_mug7 006.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
I am with you Chuck. This guy is a vendor of note with a reply like that. He deserves all the success that comes his way. I will bookmark his site.

Thanks.:thumb:

Hey he is in Canada.

Last edited:
Bummer...it looks like your sandpaper guy is going out of business. :( Although after 30 years, maybe he just wants to retire. ;)

Bummer...it looks like your sandpaper guy is going out of business. :( Although after 30 years, maybe he just wants to retire. ;)

He has gone "out of business" but he is selling of his stock and is going to still make and sell the sanding mops and surface sanders + supply's for them.

He has gone "out of business" but he is selling of his stock and is going to still make and sell the sanding mops and surface sanders + supply's for them.

Yep, I noticed that he was continuing with the sanding mops and surface sanders after I posted that. Glad to see it...I hate to see the good vendors go out of business.