drawing ogees

Carol I would put out a pm or email to Dave Richards. He has a blog and is a contributor to Fine Woodworking and incredibly helpful in the Sketchup Department.

I aint got it right to draw anything in Sketchup let alone even think about how you do ogees.:eek:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/profile/DaveRichards

Dave is a member of our forum and recently posted his project on Jeffersons bookstand.

Calling Dave to the stand:)

Thanks, Rob, I am hoping Dave will jump in.

Don, I am looking for the methodology. I know what they look like. I have a defined distance and height. I need to know how to determine esthetically pleasing proportions of the convex and concave curves. Are they equal or some proportion of each other? Where is the center of circle the radius is taken from?

Example: If I drew an isosceles triangle, offset the edge of the base and the height, where along the new hypotenuse would the centers of the circle from whose ark I get the curve lie?

Your welcomed Carol. I just checked and the curve shown is based on the Golden Ratio. The distance from point B to C multiplied by the golden ration (1.61803399) gives you the distance from point C to A. So knowing the distance between lines A & B, you should be able to reverse engineer where point C should be.

Carol, it is only a coincidence that I just looked in right now.

Thanks Rob for the nice words.

I guess I was answering the wrong question. Sorry.

Last edited:
Dave, I didn't see you answer to the "wrong" question." Did you delete it?

And did you have a Sketch-Up drawing process answer to my question now that I have Bill's resource for drawing lovely ogees?

Carol, I did. I thought by your response to Bill's question that he actually had the answer you wanted. Maybe I was mistaken.

I didn't have time to make a drawing to show how I would draw an ogee but I can do it now if you still need it. Even better, if you have time and want to see it, I could demonstrate it to you live.

Dave, the weekend is upon me and my church gets my attention until Monday. If I get a chance, I'll play with what Bill provided me. If I still have a problem, I'll contact you directly.

I think I am finally getting the hang of Sketch-Up. My version of AutoCAD is so old, computer OS's don't play nice with it anymore. Besides, drawing 3D in AutoCAD is a LOT of work and I don't do it often enough anymore to stay proficient.

Thanks for your willingness to help.