You know you're getting old when

Chuck Ellis

you spend a few hours on the non-working end of a chainsaw and the next morning your body don't want to work..

I cut about 6 or 8 logs up yesterday for bowl blanks.. spent about 3 or 4 hours on the end of my chain saw and this morning I'm so stiff and sore it was a real chore just to get out of bed and my coffee cup weighed about 40 lbs... as Betty Davis said "getting old ain't for sissies"....:rofl:

You know you are getting old when....

You don't recognize the grizzled old guy in the mirror.....with white hair which appears to receding at a rate that would qualify it for the Olympics .....needs a shave......sagging jowls........missing teeth.....waistline is bulging.....:dunno:

Then you realize you don't have your glasses on....you put them on and realize you haven't shaved for 2 days....:eek::doh::D

Ken beat me to the punch. I almost don't recognize the guy in the mirror anymore. Yes Chuck I know what ya mean. I cut up 8 logs of walnut from 18 to 24 inches about 8 ft or so long into 55 bowl blanks. The wife needed a crane to get me out of bed the next day.:rofl: As Ken said and my late dad said it ain't getting any better or any easier.:eek:

Have you looked at Peter Jordan Avatar? He would be perfect to voice his opinion about this topic.. being just a kid I don't have these problems...:rofl:

Is it age only or just lack of physical exercise? I used to jog every other day for many years and play squash those days that I dind' jog.

Then I switched to mountain biking, no exercise during the week but on saturday and sunday I rode for about 25 miles each day.

Now it is about three years I stopped doing exercise because personal circumstances made me break the momentum or routine.

I'm going to turn 51 in april and never felt so weak and unhealthy, this is telling me that it is not age but lack of exercise.

Human body is the only machine that gets damaged if it is not used.

Toni,

To an extent I'll agree with you.

Having broken my back and now needing surgery on both knees as a result of jogging too much.....my exercise ability is somewhat limited.

By the way.....you'll find in a decade....things will change even more!

Toni,

To an extent I'll agree with you.

Having broken my back and now needing surgery on both knees as a result of jogging too much.....my exercise ability is somewhat limited.

By the way.....you'll find in a decade....things will change even more!

Ken, obviousy I didn't meant it as the "ONLY" reason, but physical exercise adapted to each one's capabilities and age is far better than just sofa+TV IMHO.
Walking, ciclyng, woodworking and basically keeping oneself physicaly and mentally active is the best recipee. We all know it. Unfortunately not everybody (including myself) has the will power needed to keep on exercising, specially when we've drop it for a while.

You don't recognize the grizzled old guy in the mirror.....with white hair which appears to receding at a rate that would qualify it for the Olympics .....needs a shave......sagging jowls........missing teeth.....waistline is bulging.....:dunno:

Ken, that almost describes me... still have all my hair though and it's only a little gray in there.. everything else fits.:rofl::rofl:

Is it age only or just lack of physical exercise? I used to jog every other day for many years and play squash those days that I dind' jog.

Then I switched to mountain biking, no exercise during the week but on saturday and sunday I rode for about 25 miles each day.

Now it is about three years I stopped doing exercise because personal circumstances made me break the momentum or routine.

I'm going to turn 51 in april and never felt so weak and unhealthy, this is telling me that it is not age but lack of exercise.

Human body is the only machine that gets damaged if it is not used.

Toni
I don't exercise for the sake of exercise, but I'm not a couch potato either... I'm active and in the shop most days except when it's too cold... I do my own yard.. about 3/4 acre of grass, most of it either up hill or down.. I have a 40 x 60 garden that I work every spring and summer, but I have that decade on you that Ken mentioned.. matter of fact, I have a decade and half on you... not as old a Frank yet, but close... I'll be 69 in September... just getting a little stiff in the get-along.:rofl::rofl:
Wasn't really complaining... I'll complain when I can't do those things.:D:thumb:

Tony---Don't be STUPID like I was. I am back at exercising again---But it is really too late. Get on it guy!!!

Enjoy yourself while you do it---If you can.

Jim

Long ago I read, "Don't sit if you can stand. Don't stand if you can walk. Don't walk if you can run."

If I am at a meeting, I sit in the back so I can stand later and do deep knee bends or stretch or someting physically usefull.
I have 5# dumb bells at the stairs. If I don't have a load going up or down, I exercise my arms on the way.

I will shut up now.

Enjoy

Last edited:
You know you're getting old when you go to sleep at 3:00AM without having drunk a drop of alcohol, just enjoying some friends company around a dinner table and it takes you two days to recover:rofl:

You know you're getting old when you go to sleep at 3:00AM without having drunk a drop of alcohol, just enjoying some friends company around a dinner table and it takes you two days to recover:rofl:

well toni,, yur in for alot of catchun up then cuz you aint gonna be in bed early for alot of nights the next two weeks:D:thumb::thumb::rofl:

Chuck, I used to be a logger so sawdust is in my blood. However after ruptured disk surgery I have slowed down a little. I do heat with wood so I do saw a lot and it feels good to spend a few hours in the woods on the end of a chainsaw. I do employ a few wiser tactics. I have these neat wood throwers and stackers called teenage boys. One son started lifting weights to improve himself and I recognized the golden opportunity to help him get stronger.

It is all relative. I used to ride a bicycle all over the place. It was common to go 50 miles or more in an evening. After the back injury that exercise went out the window. My wife bought me an exercise bike for my birthday and I did 5 min. on it the first night. I felt like I'd been in a train wreck the next day. It is sure hard to get the stamina back after a layoff. I think I'll stick to wood sawing for a while. :D

Paul,
It is strange what we do to our bodies... I worked my entire working career as a desk jockey, so I got excerise when I had to go to the file cabinet or to get another cup of coffee, then to the head to get rid of the coffee....

I never was one to exercise much though. I did yard work and such and anything I thought I could tackle, but nothing really physical for any extended period of time. I'm fortunate that I have a relatively high metabolism and most of my life didn't eat a lot. I'm about 6'1" and weighed about 150-155 lbs from when I got out of the navy until I married again 18 years ago. Since then I've gained about 40 pounds and can't seem to get it off. I was single most of my life, except for a short marriage in the early '70's, so I probably ate only when I thought about it. My wife is quite a good cook and serves meals on a schedule... now that I've reached the top end of the 60's age bracket, I find I'm not so active as when I was 30 or 40 and probably not near in the condition I was then either. My muscles get sore much easier than they did then.
A few years ago, I was trimming some trees in the back yard and used my belly as a brace for the trimming pole. I would set the pole against the belly and then pull down on the rope with both hands... in doing so I opened a hernia in my belly just above the navel. Doctors said it wasn't serious and as long as it didn't bother me not to worry about it.... in September, it became strangulated and required emergency surgery. I wound up with an 8 in scar down my belly and about 5 or 6 inches of small bowells removed where it had become strangulated. I'm over all that, ever so often I'll feel a pull on the scar tissue in my stomache, but I now know to watch when I do things and pay attention to the body. I'm sure my stance is all wrong for what I do with a chain saw... I only use one to cut up the logs I've collected for bowl blanks and such. After a couple of hours, I really feel the muscles in my lower back straining and pulling.
It's hell getting old.