FREE (!) Pen blanks - ALL GONE!

Jim DeLaney

Staff member
I've got a bunch of air dried Spalted Curly Maple that I've cut into planks. In doing so, there's a lot of wast wood on both edges, and some off cuts to remove end checkage. There's probably enough stuff there for quite a few pen blanks, if anyone's interested.

Right now, the wood is at 10~12% moisture content.

It's 1½" thick, so I might be able to get tome 1½ X 1½ X 10 or 12 " turning pieces, but most of it would be better suited to pen blanks.

Question: Is ¾ X ¾ X 6" a suitable pen blank size?

In any event, if you're interested, let me know and I'll cut some up. If you want just a few, they're free for the asking. If you want a bunch of them, I might ask you to pay for the postage (USPS Flat Rate boxes).

Last edited:
Jim -

I haven't acquired my lathe yet, but that's coming soon. Once some financials shake themselves out, I'll have a bit of extra scratch coming in, it's just a matter of how the timing works itself out. Sometime in the next couple of months, anyway. Pen turning is something I'd be quite interested in getting into, so I'd be happy to take a handful of those blanks off your hands.

-Kevin in Indy

After an almost overwhelming response, I've cut, packed, and have ready to ship, everything I had left.

The Priority Mail Flat Rate boxes will be sent out tomorrow.

Thanks for helping me clear out my scrap pile, guys! :D:D:D

Box has a happy new home!

Thank you sir!

Jim reimbursed me for the postage on his box of blanks, and - WHAT A SURPRISE! - included a really beautiful pen he made from one of the blanks I sent him.

According to Jim, it's a CS Gentleman's Pen in 10k gold TI. It's sure a beautiful pen, and one I'll cherish. Thanks, Jim!

Attachments

• Jim Burr Pen 1.JPG
    Jim Burr Pen 1.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Jim Burr Pen 2.JPG
    Jim Burr Pen 2.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 22
Jim reimbursed me for the postage on his box of blanks, and - WHAT A SURPRISE! - included a really beautiful pen he made from one of the blanks I sent him.

According to Jim, it's a CS Gentleman's Pen in 10k gold TI. It's sure a beautiful pen, and one I'll cherish. Thanks, Jim!

good for you JIM D. that was a nice gesture from Jim in CA.:thumb: