A few small planes

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
Managed to claim these small planes from my FIL estate last week as well.

2 small planes (I think Instrument makers planes), 1 what I'm assuming is a small scraper plane, and a spokeshave thrown in for good measure.

My FIL always wanted to show these planes to me, but never could seem to find them in the garage...

attachment.php

smallplanes.jpg

Seems to me it was worth cleaning out that garage.;) What other bits and bobs did you get out of it. So far you have a new saw and a few planes. Not bad i would clean out anyones garage for that.:D:thumb:

Oh, I got a little mortar mixer that rotates a bucket of mortar, a pile of old socket chisels that need handles, and that's about it.

I have temporary possession of my wifes grandfathers woodworking tool chest, with a few planes/saws, etc... I'm sending that to my good BIL in a little while.

Managed to claim these small planes from my FIL estate last week as well...1 what I'm assuming is a small scraper plane...

Brent,
What you're referring to as a small scraper appears to be the bed & blade assembly from a Stanley #70 box label scraper. There's a hardwood handle, about a foot long, with a "Y" shaped yoke, that attaches to the protrusions on the side of your piece.

The original use for the #70 was to remove labels from wooden crates and boxes so the boxes could be re-used.

The little block plane looks like a Stanley #101, which was intended for light 'household' work.

The Stanley #101½ "squirell tail" plane you refer to as a 'violin' plane' is used for that, as well as by model makers and pattern makers. With its curved sole and hand-fitting form, this one is pretty sought after by collectors, and may have a fair value. My 1994 Walters Guide puts it in the $150+ range.

Nice haul you made there!

Last edited:
Thanks Jim for the info! :thumb:

I'll have to do a little more research on these.

I'd never even heard of a label scraper, but it makes a lot of sense. The angle it's set at seems a little high for a plane, and it doesn't really 'look' like a scraper plane.

I do have some plans in my mind for making a carved back mandolin at some point. My hands are a little to big for the production made ones, so I was thinking I might make up a mandolin with a little thicker neck for wider spaced strings, and that little violin makers plane would be just the ticket for hollowing out the back...

I have a cousin to the second little guy. It is one of my handiest tools. I keep it in the pocket of my shop apron. I am constantly using it. Trim just a sliver, etc. I put an ever so slight Campher on the ends of tenons (to ease in starting into the mortises)