I have a dream

Folks, I think I am going to go to school. I am thinking of entering the electrical field. Something like residential electrician or along that line. What do you think? Can a 44 yr old start over.

If I hurry, I can be done and out before my oldest starts college. She wants U of Kentucky and the little one wants Purdue. Ol' Dad is thinking community college.

Steve, go for it! You will be competing against mainly kids that want the money, but won't spend the time or have the maturity to think out the problem and solve it efficiently. Thus, your age will become an asset! Great way to set a positive example for your kids, encounter a problem, don't sit on your duff waiting on a hand out, look around, get some information, arm yourself with it and move forward!!!

While my motto is to never let a lack of talent, skill, or knowledge stop me from undertaking a project, I say go for it! If it gives you a better skill set and an opportunity for a better job, it seems like a no brainer!

Steve I say if you got the interest go for it.:thumb: Up here in Canada the average age of the trades is very high. There is going to be a huge shortage as the guys retire and i guess the same will apply in the USA. I dont see you being out of work if you do it.

I keep telling my sons to think of being an HVAC (gas guy). The average age in the gas trade here is 56. All the youngsters want to keep their hands clean. A gas guy will soon be able to command his own price here. Ya gotta have gas and the furnace here. I am just too scared of the stuff otherwise i woudl have thought of giving it a go myself.

Way i see it the biggest hurdle you face is the apprenticeship and finding someone to let you do the practical side.

I just started my Residential Wiring II class this week at the local tech college. I am 52 and want to do the wiring for my shop and house. The instructors have said the electrical trade is still a good one to get into - almost always jobs to be found at reasonable money.

Go for it.:thumb:

You are too old only when your obituary is printed in the local paper. I graduated in four years with a masters degree (from a 4 year program) that included two ancient foreign languages and did it at the age of 67. And I got a job in my field, knowing I had been challenged and humored through the whole program. I am not bitter. I am very happy with the way things turned.

Age discrimination is against the law but they can and will do their best to wash you out. And there will be those who won't hire you. But you bring maturity, good common sense, an appreciation for how things fit into the bigger picture, and the wisdom to show up everyday.

What's not to like? You can and will find the boss (or become your own) who knows a good thing when it pops up on the radar screen.

Losers find excuses. Winners find reasons.

I went from being IT Manager to ATM Tech at 47. Been an ATM Tech for a little over 5 years now and love it. It's a pretty secure job, as long as everyone keeps using ATMs. Nation wide company if any members of the club are interested send me a PM.

Go for it Steve!

Most of my family on both sides are sparkies :D Both grand fathers, my dad, a bunch of uncles my older brother was too, as well as some cousins, they all made/make good money at it and work hard.

I was brought up around it, discussions over dinner, at family parties and picnics, as well as summer jobs working as a "Helper" and such. My Dad worked as an electrical inspector for 29 years, taught a lot of code classes too. I never understood what the big deal was, why so many think it is so difficult to do :huh: :dunno:

Very smart people I know cannot wire a three way switch, what's up with that :huh: :rolleyes: :D

Best of luck, go for it! :thumb:

There's a lot of physical effort in pulling electrical wiring in a house (I'm talking about new construction here). Also, a lot of climbing up and down ladders or on the framing. And the new guy gets all the worse stuff to do.

Once you have the wire pulled, it's more thinking to hook everything up. Wiring standard single phase house wiring is not really that difficult. The most complex thing is learning the code so you know what to do in different situations so the inspector won't red tag you. (Industrial three phase wiring is more complex)

I think it's a good trade, and you're not going to be replaced by someone in India or China. But it's very cyclical based on the construction industry (save your money in the good times because it won't last).

Doing old work (changing the wiring in an existing house) can be very challenging - trying to figure out how to get some wire to a certain place without having to tear out a lot of sheet rock - but it pays well. You'd be amazed at what an electrician charges to put in an additional outlet in a house.

Good luck - if you have the kind of mind that visualizes problems and can "see" the physical solution to a routing problem, you'll do very well. Electricity is not dangerous if you use common sense precautions.

Mike

Last edited:
Not trying to be the killjoy here but before I could provide my opinion, I would need to know certain information - namely, it sounds like you presently have responsibilities (two minor children at least). Is it possible that you can continue to provide for these kids while obtaining the proper training/credentials to become an electrician? How about meeting other your other obligations (monthly bills, etc) while this occurs? Assuming you have one, does your partner support this plan? What (if any) other options have you considered towards obtaining a sustainable income?

Assuming you've got all these bases covered, I would say go for it. However, sometimes in life, we have to put aside our personal wants in order to take care of business.

Just my $.02.

Ok, thanks for all the reply's. I am going to go to the tech school one day next week and look into this more. See about class schedules and that kind of stuff.

Peter you are not a killjoy, you are right. The wife and I have talked it over and plan to do more talking after I assemble more facts. We lead a simple life style that doesn't generate the above average bills. We spend what we earn not what we think we earn.

Oh, I am only 43, life is good.

Sounds like you have your head on straight Steve. If you get good info from the tech school and your family is behind you, go for it! Are you looking at IVY Tech? Let me know what you think after meeting with them. Good luck!

Ron, as of now , I am thinking Owensboro Community & Tech College. Little closer and I can cross the river for the same $ as in state. Our local Ivy Tech doesn't carry much and I would be forced to drive to Evansville. There's a Woodcraft close to that school and that would be bad.