The Rebirth of a Hoosier Cabinet, DONE, final pic

larry merlau

well i havnt just been reading and sorting out the bad words:D been making some saw dust of my own. i have a brother that is very dear to me and has done alot for me and my family over the years, and he has a wife that is no.1 in my book and i call her my sister, the one i never had. there was only the two of us boys..and yup we were boys.. any way to get on with this, he mentioned one day that his wife had been looking at one of those hoosier things. well i instantly said for him to stop looking, he found one.. he looked at me, and we both new what was to happen next:) so this is the beginning to a build that is almost completed now, its in the finish room as i write..this was built using some plans that a old member here that no longer belongs, but might be reading still gave to me. well i hadnt used plans to make something in some time, generally do my own plans and i know where and what i am up to.. well i was mislead a couple of times on this one because of over thinking and or lack of instruction in the plans..but we muddled threw and got around the obstacles that were presented.. so i contribute the begining of this to Don Taylor, and the help of this forum in the questions answered as i was involved in this build.. i thank you all..so here is the first batch of pics and i will be adding more as i get some free time to do so.. any questions will be answered as to how or why this or that is or was done that way..we needed more flat work anyway in here the spinners were making me dizzy:rofl:
tn_hoosier pics1.jpg tn_hoosier pics2.jpg

tn_hoosier pics3.jpg tn_hoosier pics4.jpg

tn_hoosier pics5.jpg tn_hoosier pics6.jpg

tn_hoosier pics7.jpg tn_hoosier pics8.jpg

tn_hoosier pics9.jpg tn_hoosier pics10.jpg

Last edited:
Well Larry, I knew that you were working in the shade,(as I am BTW) and that you were going to startle us with a magnificent piece of work, it looks as if you've been taking photography lessons as well:).

That looks great! and the joinery is fantastic. I want to see them all. What you have done levels up with the spinny guys so do not worry on that side:D

Looks good and all, but how are you gonna get that thing up on the lathe? :huh:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl::rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Good to see you're not taking the winter off. Looking good, Larry.

Bout time you finally showed the hoosier:thumb: As I have said before it is absolute great for me to live close to Larry as I get the privilege to see him and his stuff up close and personal:D I haven't seen it with any spray on it but I have seen it mostly assembled and all I can say is I wish you all could see it in person, it is INCREDIBLE:thumb::thumb::thumb: Larry you sure have the attention to detail required for this project, now hurry up and spray that thing, I want to see it again:D:D:D:thumb:

CENTER section

well this doesnt look like much but it was alot of fiddling to get it right.. see i had to down size the hoosier, to make it fit the top, my brother found in a antique shop. they had differnt sized tops in there day, and the one he found was a 1" smaller than what the plans were set for..yup mistake number one was because of this. so here is the top of the bottom section where the center section goes.
tn_forum-1a.jpg tn_forum-1b.jpg

tn_forum-1c.jpg tn_forum-1d.jpg you can see from this close up that there is alot of wood in a small area here

tn_forum-1e.jpg tn_forum-1f.jpg

tn_forum-1g.jpg tn_forum-1h.jpgand this shows what goes in there and why the extra wood in the small area, there are two of these and they pull out for storage.. almost enough wood in there to make a bowl i think, at least a spindle:D

Larry hey its just gorgeous. The Oak looks lovely and Tom i like it in the unfinished form. Its a pitty we have to cover natural wood. You do a fine job Mr. Merlau and Tom i think you is spoilt.:D You need a transfer.

What i really like about this design is the draw thickness at the top and the wood runner. I always think they make the draws on commercial stuff too deep cause then they dont need more of them. But this way for storage of cutlery its a real neat depth. My missus would still manage to cram more in than needed.:(:D

Larry did you have that oak in your lumber stock and was it from a tree you cut and dried or did ya have to go an get it?

Hey Larry i see you been fiddling with Randi's quilting machine. That shop protection blanket sure dont look like she was at the machine. Ya gotta respect each others domains. I am sure she would have made you one if you asked nicely.:D:rofl:;):thumb:

I did spot an idea i am going to steal from your shop though. I like the idea of having your sander at the lower deck of your assembly table. Beats keeping it in the draw and making a big fuss of connecting it up each time one needs it.

Hope you get round to finishing it, has the recipient seen the assembled item yet or is it a surprize?

Good work boss.:thumb: Wish i had a brother like you.

Last edited:
Larry did you have that oak in your lumber stock and was it from a tree you cut and dried or did ya have to go an get it? Yup came out of my stash

Hey Larry i see you been fiddling with Randi's quilting machine. That shop protection blanket sure dont look like she was at the machine. Ya gotta respect each others domains. I am sure she would have made you one if you asked nicely.:D:rofl:;):thumb: she gave it to me for this purpose

I did spot an idea i am going to steal from your shop though. I like the idea of having your sander at the lower deck of your assbly table. Beats keeping it in the draw and making a big fuss of connecting it up each time one needs it. yup again i have them connected to a fein vac and it comes on when i use them works great, the auto on thing was something i learned here or at the old forum. the postion of it under the bench works great as i can shove the hose under neath and make room for my feet when not in use

Hope you get round to finishing it, has the recipient seen the assembled item yet or is it a surprize?
they saw it on V Day:) and had no clue it was there's. had to tell them twice:) i asked them what type of finish and they said first time what ever i thought right, and i replied, i am asking you because its yours and i want it to be what yu want,, then it sunk in..

answer above in blue

I have an old tabletop that was in my grandma's laundry room that looks similar to the top you used for your cabinet, Larry. Is yours wood or metal? Mine is porcelain on steel

...it looks as if you've been taking photography lessons as well:)...

Or perhaps having his buddy Tom come over to take the pics for him? :p

I have an old tabletop that was in my grandma's laundry room that looks similar to the top you used for your cabinet, Larry. Is yours wood or metal? Mine is porcelain on steel

Or perhaps having his buddy Tom come over to take the pics for him? :p

yup vaughn porcelain on steel:) this one has a pattern on it as well some did and some didnt. when i get further along on the pics you will see what this has but i dont want you to spoil the show and miss the whole story:) had one bought for it froma yard sale but was in poor shape compared to this one.. this one was new old stock, still had label on it,,tried to save it and its now on the under side. made in boston mass.

, you ever feel the need to sell off some of that gorgeous stuff Id make the trip for a truckload.
Thats some good looking clean work larry, its a beauty already.
Thanx for sharing it.

Last edited: