Vacuum Pump

Well got all the parts in and decided today to assemble my vacuum pump. It is assembled and pulls about 23" hg. Anyway it holds real well and hoping I can show a step by step of mounting a bowl and finishing the bottom with total access without any interference especially the tailstock. It will be used to center the piece but after that I can take it away. Light cuts are in order so the bottom can be finished turning then sanded. I bought this system from JT Turning Tools, LLC and the reason was he has new 100 V unit which was great for me as I don't have 220 V in the shop. You can buy a whole system from him or just the parts needed. Will give a report when I have had a chance to run it thru it's paces. Not affiliated but just a happy camper so far.

Attachments

• Vacuum Pump 1.jpg
    Vacuum Pump 1.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 73
  • Vacuum Pump 4.jpg
    Vacuum Pump 4.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 67
  • Vacuum Pump 5.jpg
    Vacuum Pump 5.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 64
  • Vacuum Pump 6.jpg
    Vacuum Pump 6.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 61
  • Vacuum Pump 7.jpg
    Vacuum Pump 7.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 63
  • Vacuum Pump 8.jpg
    Vacuum Pump 8.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 54
Congrats on getting it done, Bernie. :thumb: You're gonna wonder why you didn't get one sooner. :D

One thing I'd suggest...after centering the piece with the chuck in the tailstock, I leave the tailstock (with live center) in place on the bottom to give me a little extra backup holding the piece. Then when the tenon is turned down to a nub, I remove the tailstock and finish cleaning up the bottom. I'm not sure it's necessary, since I've never had a piece come loose when I was just using the vacuum, but I figure the extra insurance can't hurt.

Thanks Vaughn. I planned on leaving the tailstock till the nub was read to come off. I already gave it a workout today and it works just great. I am kicking myself for just thinking about doing it for so long.:rofl:

Yeah, I should have figured you'd be wise about the tailstock. ;)

Still, it's pretty amazing how well they hold. With my 6" chuck, it's pretty much impossible to pull a flat blank off by hand (unless it's really, really porous wood). Vacuum chucks really do suck. :D

Bill, I know a lot of turners run without a reserve tank on their vacuum rigs...I don't, and offhand I can't think of any turners I know of who do.

As I understand things, due to the porosity of most woods and the relatively short time a piece is being held with a vacuum chuck, the tank doesn't provide a lot of benefit compared to a vacuum press (where there's less leakage and the vacuum needs to be maintained for longer periods of time). In a vacuum chucking scenario, if the pump freezes up, a tank would give you a few moments to turn off the lathe and grab the piece, but under normal operation, the pump would still be cycling fairly often (if not running full time) due to leakage.

If I start using my pump for vacuum pressing, I'll definitely look into adding a tank to my rig, though. ;)

I didn't put a tank on it because I didn't see the need to. It is not hooked up that long. Just long enough to turn the bottom, sand and take it off.

Yep Vaughn I figured that I always like a little insurance even though I couldn't even come close to pulling that bowl off. I did play with it some last night and all in all I am quite satisfied. Yes you are right I wonder now why I waited so long.:(

Hey Bernie,
I guess I'm in one of my dense modes today...First I don't have a system and would like to put one together sometime later this summer.. I have a pretty good idea of how the vacuum chuck works, but I looked at your pictures and your stand for the vacuum set up... a couple of questions if I may..

1. What is the advantage of having a stand such as yours?
2. Could you have the motor and tubing on a shelf under the lathe rather than a vertical stand?
3. I notice you have a couple of pieces in the lines that look like filters, what are they for?
4. I don't see the hose that would fit into the headstock to create the vacuum chuck... am I just not seeing it?

I'll probably think of more questions later... any enlightenment appreciated.

Chuck,
I believe this is what your looking for. I fit in the headstock
attachment.php

Attachments

• vac pump.jpg
    vac pump.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 66
Hey Bernie,
I guess I'm in one of my dense modes today...First I don't have a system and would like to put one together sometime later this summer.. I have a pretty good idea of how the vacuum chuck works, but I looked at your pictures and your stand for the vacuum set up... a couple of questions if I may..

1. What is the advantage of having a stand such as yours?
2. Could you have the motor and tubing on a shelf under the lathe rather than a vertical stand?
3. I notice you have a couple of pieces in the lines that look like filters, what are they for?
4. I don't see the hose that would fit into the headstock to create the vacuum chuck... am I just not seeing it?

I'll probably think of more questions later... any enlightenment appreciated.

Chuck I put it on a stand that can be rolled around because I plan on using it on two lathes. My Nova DVR XP and my Jet 1220. I am sure it could be put on a shelf under the lathe but I am trying to keep it as clean as possible. The filters are on there to keep any dirt and dust out of the vacuum pump. You don't want any to get into it or you will be buying a new one real quick or at the very least rebuilding it. I am posting a couple more pic's so you can see the hose and how it hooks up to the lathe along with a chuck on and a bowl attached. Hope this helps Chuck.

Attachments

• Vacuum Pump 94.jpg
    Vacuum Pump 94.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 32
  • Vacuum Pump 9.jpg
    Vacuum Pump 9.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Vacuum Pump 91.jpg
    Vacuum Pump 91.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Vacuum Pump 92.jpg
    Vacuum Pump 92.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 31
  • Vacuum Pump 93.jpg
    Vacuum Pump 93.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 31
  • Vacuum Pump 95.jpg
    Vacuum Pump 95.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Okay, I told you I going through my dense mode... I see now what I was thinking I should be seeing... the fitting that goes into the headstock was put on the little spike at the top as a holding/storing unit... I'm going to save your pictures as a reference file for when I build mine maybe later this summer.

Thanks for all the help.:thumb:

Bernie,
One question: Why so many filters? I count three of them. I only have one on mine...:)

Jim the vac pump came with one and I just didn't remove it. Also I have the big one in the line to keep dust out of the pump and one on the bleeder valve so it doesn't allow any dust into the system. So normally I would have two on there.