in progress natural edge bowl

This is being turned from that bush my brother brought over. It's 12x 6 1/2 at the tallest point. needs some more sanding inside and the foot turned away. More sanding sealer and finish but thought it is turning out all right.Will post finish pics if all goes well.:)

Attachments

• 009 [800x600].JPG
    009 [800x600].JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 010 [800x600].JPG
    010 [800x600].JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 011 [800x600].JPG
    011 [800x600].JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 013 [800x600].JPG
    013 [800x600].JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 014 [800x600].JPG
    014 [800x600].JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 44
dat sur dont lok like no platter to me steve:) yu better be gettin that platter made for the misses before she sends this new lath back to the store:) looks like a nice chunk of wood yu get there and lookin mighty fine in the new form as well:):thumb::thumb:

While I do have a small lathe I really haven't turned very much on it. So my question is: if you have a piece of wood turning around on the axis, how do you get it to come out as an oval or is this bowl really round and just looks oval to my eye??

dat sur dont lok like no platter to me steve:) yu better be gettin that platter made for the misses before she sends this new lath back to the store:) looks like a nice chunk of wood yu get there and lookin mighty fine in the new form as well:):thumb::thumb:
thanks Larry had forgot about that platter:(. funny she hadn't said anything about it.:eek:

Good looking piece Stephan. Make sure you post when finished.
will do.:)

Looking good, Steve. :thumb:
Thanks i'm trying.

Wow, Steve. Can't wait to see the finished product.
I'll make sure i get it up when i get -r-done.:rofl:

Thanks Stu even if you were going for Canada.:rofl: just kidding ofcorse it was a good game.

While I do have a small lathe I really haven't turned very much on it. So my question is: if you have a piece of wood turning around on the axis, how do you get it to come out as an oval or is this bowl really round and just looks oval to my eye??
Dan it really is round just looks like a oval.

That's a great looking piece... I've tried a few NE pieces, but I keep knocking the bark off.. spastic I guess.. waiting to see the final finish.. :thumb:
Chuck never had much luck with a natural edge ether, just got lucky with this i guess.

Dan, it's an optical illusion caused by using a blank with a curved face. This tutorial by Mark Cothren shows the process, and you can see the oval look develop in the progress pics:

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13180

If the bark surface was flat, the bowl would look round. Since it's not, it looks oval.

In this series of pic, the bark face is wavy, but relatively flat. The end result is a wavy, but relatively round bowl:

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17473

Man Stephen that is fantastic sweet looking bowl.:thumb:

I dont know how you spinny guys do it. I think to trully appreciate the effort involved one has to have tried. I did recently on a very small piece and well lets just say my bark did not last seconds.

What cutting tools did you use on a piece like this?

That's going to be a beauty. Wish I had that talent. Maybe someday.
Tim i'm sure you can do every bit as good or better than me. I still consider my self a rookie.

Man Stephen that is fantastic sweet looking bowl.:thumb:

I dont know how you spinny guys do it. I think to trully appreciate the effort involved one has to have tried. I did recently on a very small piece and well lets just say my bark did not last seconds.

What cutting tools did you use on a piece like this?
Thanks Rob. Just do what i do keep trying till something comes out looking half way right.:) The rest are just designer firewood.:p And yes i make more firewood than anything else. On most of the stuff i make i use a 3/8 bowl gouge, or a 1/4 bowl gouge.