most expensive pen sold

Frank Fusco

My 'anchor' pen sold last month from the art gallery where my stuff is displayed and offered for sale. It was a faux ivory Emperor fountain. The 'ivory' is the type used by knife makers and is not the same material as is sold by most of the pen supply vendors. I was pleased with the end result but, ole cheapie me, was concerned about losing the investment in kit and material. Originally, I had intended to price it at $300.00 but chickened out and put a $250.00 tag on it. However, even with the 40% commission coming off the top and deducting my costs, about $75.00, I figure I came out OK. I had this high end pen in there as an 'anchor' to help make my others look reasonably priced. I didn't know if it would ever sell, took about six months. With other sales, I had a good month. Gonna buy my new camera now. :)

Attachments

• Emperor pen 2.jpg
    Emperor pen 2.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 88
Shoulda stuck with $300...that way you'd have enough extra to buy film for that new camera.
photographer.gif
:laugh2:

Congrats on the sale. It's a great-looking pen. :thumb:

Nice pen Frank. It is a good practice to have a few high end things for comparison purposes when selling. I have a friend who does this and when customers seem interested in his better stuff he will pull out his reserve tray and show his work thats "exhibition grade, I really don't plan to sell these" He does ask very high prices and occasionally the customer asks "what would you sell that for?" :D He does amazing flint knapping and scrimshaw work.

Thanks all. It will be replaced but not with the same model. I have two more blanks of the same material but it is granite hard and no fun to turn. But, it is very attractive. We'll see.

well since you have two blanks make a pen and pencil set AND PRICE THE SET AT $500:D:thumb:

Nice idea but can't do it. :(
Went in shop to look for the blanks. Only one. :huh: Musta given the other one away. :dunno: It happens.
The one left is made up from scraps left from cutting up the original chunk I bought. I laminated it with some thin, very thin, slices of ebony. This will (I hope) make an interesting pen.

Attachments

• blank.jpg
    blank.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 9