FINGER SPPED

Bill McQueen

I got a finger joint router bit and I called MLCS (might be wring on the mane but their uo there with amamna, to ask the recommend speed. They told me 2,500 rpm. My Bosch turns at 24,1100. This seems extremely slow and under load it will be under that. Any recommendations or are the right. I would think 14 or 15 thousand would be more in line.

Thanks Bill

PS bit is about 6" long 1/2 shaft it's about half and half shaft and teeth.

Thanks Bill :)

It that is the bit I think it is, more like 10K - max. Rule of thumb, larger diameter, slowest speed. And for some I think only a shaper should be used!

Seriously, two things here. Use the slowest router speed available, but no more than 10K. Then take small bites and work to finally depth of cut. 1/4" max at a time. The reason is that there is little room to evacuate the waste from the cut. If you overload the cutter, it gets hot and heat kills sharp edges. Real quick. And that is a pricey bit to kill prematurely.

The retired Router Lady will retire to her corner again.

It also makes a difference as to soft or hard wood for the speed. You should not exceed for depth of cut more then 1/2 the bit diameter. So if it is 1/2 diameter bit ....increase depth of cut only 1/4" at a time. At least thats what works for me. Also for finger joints use a backer board to help eliminate tear out.:thumb::thumb::D

So...what's the difference between a 'finger joint' bit and any other half inch straight bit?

A half inch straight bit can be run at full speed in a single speed router - 20,000 ~ 25,000 depending on the router.

One problem with trying to make multiple passes for finger joints is getting the exact alignment each time you raise the bit. I've pretty much found that you need to make the joint in one pass - or else you'll have alignment problems.

That's probably the main reason I make mine on the tablesaw. It's quicker and easier.

So...what's the difference between a 'finger joint' bit and any other half inch straight bit? ...

I suspect this is the type of finger joint bit we're talking about:

finger.jpg

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shop.../bt_box_finger_joint.html#finger_joint_anchor