Anyone going to the Woodworking show Saratoga March 27,28th

First I've heard of it, so thanks...I'll have to check into it. It's over a 3 hour drive, but it's nice country and might make a fun road trip with a buddy. The in-laws live less than an hour north of there, so it could even turn into a family trip.

3 and a half hours for me, but I enjoy seeing woodworking craftsmanship close up and personal. Im going to touch it all, despite the warnings from the signs. What good is it if I cant feel it all, and peek underneath, and open drawers, they take away so much of the fun.

Allen, some years ago I did that show several times as a speaker/demonstrator, book author, and judge. I also served of the board of the San Diego club which hosts the largest show on the Pacific Rim.

It was often difficult to get really fine woodworking entered into the show because after the show many pieces had to be refinished from the gazillian hands that had touched, opened, turned over, and opened drawers and doors.

It is easy to think you are the only one, but everyone makes that decision. There are members cruising the area to help you remember this is someone's very special piece and to caress it only with your eyes.

Only when firm security was implemented did real fine things show up. May I gently request that you ask before touching and fondling? For some pieces that request may be honored.

Hopefully that doesn't detract from your reason to go to the show. It is one of the very best shows in the entire country. It is hosted by a woodworking club, not a professional show promoter. Vendors are invited, thus limited, but also selected so as to have a wide selection of items. Over the years they have learned that it is a privilege to be there, so they are very accommodating.

There have been a wide variety and many free 'classes' led by very talented, and well-known people. And there is the wood project exhibit, complete with judging and ribbons. When I judged the show, the professional work was separated and judged as professional. That allowed the the hobbyist to be judged only in the company of other hobbyists.

It is also a heck of a lot of fun. It was one of the most 'fun' shows I did, back when I was on the show circuit. If I were not in Arizona and closer to New York, I'd go again.

I deleted my original answer.

I dont need to be anymore outcast here than I feel I am.

I also dont believe my light brush of my fingertips over a tabletop is going to compromise the finish.

Although I look like a big gorilla, I dont handle other peoples furniture with disrespect, or test tolerances on them.

I simply want to admire the joinery on a drawer, or the ingenuity of assembly and construction.

Allen, looks like I'll be there all day Sat & Sun, and am planning to go with Mark Kosmowski. I believe Don Orr will attend also. Hope to see you there.

Allen, I am sorry if my remarks made you feel like an outcast. That certainly was not my intention. I intended to make every one aware of the bigger picture. I also know that you very likely would be very gentle and respectful of someones work. And one person's touch would not harm the finish. Thousands of touches will. And pieces can get that in one weekend. Not to mention dirty from all the skin oils. And that show attracted over 5,000 people when I was doing it more than a decade ago. I would not be surprised if the attendance was now higher.

I am sorry but it is a fact of life. And the sorry fact is that really fine furniture makers won't enter their pieces without the caveat and enforcement of hands off. Further, insurance for damage to the pieces must be secured as well. And claims for damage to the finish can soon put the sponsoring club out of business because they will be unable to get insurance.

I am sorry to be the bearer of unpopular news. But it helpful for all folks to know the logistics and the behind the scenes information of showmanship.

Please do not feel outcast. I enjoy your posts as I am sure others do as well. I did not intend to malign you in any way. I just wanted you to be aware of the bigger picture so you would not go home from the show unhappy because you had been reminded to caress only with your eyes and not your hands.