Davis-Wells Bandsaw Motor Question

Dan Mosley

attached are some pictures of the motor that I have on my Davis Wells bandsaw. I restored this saw awhile back posted pictures. Since then I have ordered some blades 3 skip tooth type from Luis Ittura and have been cutting blanks now and then on it. When cutting much thicker blanks the saw bogs down and can stop cutting at times even if im cutting slow. Luis suggestion is to get a min 2hp motor and a 3-5hp would be best -5400 speed plus - 1740 or 1725 capacitor start - induction run.
So my question or problem is I am a bit confused on what to buy for this bandsaw. I got lost after the hp part of the conversation i guess.......anybody offer some clarity here and pinpoint where i should get another motor ?
Thanks Dan

The picture police must be holding the pics in custody. :rofl::rofl:

There is an asset recovery auction house just down the road from me that always seems to have motors included in their sales. Heartland Recovery Most are 3 phase though. I'm sure there's a place similiar to this in your neck of the woods. I would think the motor mounting type is going to be your biggest obstacle. :dunno:

Yep forgot the pictures......youll have to excuse the junk in the way but it shows the old GE 1hp 220 that is on it now.........thanks Dan

Attachments

• Bandsaw Motor-1.jpg
    Bandsaw Motor-1.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 52
  • Bandsaw Motor-2.jpg
    Bandsaw Motor-2.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 47
Dan,
Your motor is an older motor manufactured before the NEMA standards for motors was established. (NEMA stand for National Electric Motor Association). What this means is that any motor you get will require re-drilling the mounting holes and probubly require you get a new pulley since the shaft size will be differant. I assume you are running the motor on 110 Volts but stepping up to a 2 or 3 hp you should plan on 220 Volts. That said you can get a new motor from several places like you local motor selling brands like Baldor, marathon or GE. There are also several good online sources such as Automation Direct. what you want is a 3 HP 1750 horizontal mount motor. I will proubly come in a NEMA 184 Frame. Hope tyhis helps. BTW I used to be in motor sales case you couldn't tell.

I'm running my 20" Crescent with an old 1hp Emerson repulsion/induction motor. Even with a good blade, it will bog down with tall cuts in hardwood. I've been looking for a 2hp to swap it with. For just about anything over 6 or 8 inches, the 1 hp doesn't quite do it.
Good luck.